"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sir Loin, your recipe looks very good but quite different from Classic pink Mexican Restaurant Rice, without vegetables. I love Spanish Rice however.

My friend owns a Mexican restaurant here and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry white rice for a minute or two till it's opaque. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice every time.
*Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

I'm looking forward to using your recipe for home made Chorizo! It will be nice to know exactly what's in it.
Spanish rice has a tomato sauce, Mexican rice has tomatoes.

I started making my own Chorizo because the stuff you buy in the plastic tube in the store turns to mostly grease and very little meat when you cook it. I've made it with ground beef and ground pork, but lately I've been using ground turkey. I want to try it with goat, which is what the original Mexican Chorizo was made from. You'd think in a neighborhood that is 75% Latino and Pilipino, I wouldn't have so much trouble finding ground goat, but none of the local meat markets carry it. I'd have to drive to the barrio to get it.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Shortcut Mexican Rice

1 3/4 cups water or chicken broth
1 cup rice
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. evoo
1/2 cup prepared salsa

Place water or broth, salt and oil in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add rice and stir in salsa. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I use seasoned ground beef for tacos: 1# ground beef, 1 chopped onion, a packet of taco seasoning, and a can of diced tomatoes with liquid (instead of water called for on the seasoning packet). It makes quite a bit of taco meat mixture and I'm only cooking for myself, so lots left over for other dishes.

You made some good suggestions for using the leftovers. Thanks.

You're welcome. I wasn't sure if the OP used ground beef, or what seasonings were added. But, one could easily adapt for Mexican pizza, Mexican egg rolls, etc. Add in green chilies, tomatoes, Mexican blend cheeses, avocado, black beans, roasted corn kernels, rice, cilantro or taco seasoning - whatever you like. I try to keep won-ton, gyoza or egg roll wrappers around, for a quick snack.

Tags
meat, other