What to do w/leftover taco meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caslon said:
The gringo kind? (hamburger) I toss it.

What!?

Taco casserole. More tacos. Chili. Taco salad. Taco dip. Taco baked potato. Taco meatloaf. Soup with taco meat. Freeze for tacoless times.

Last edited:
One of my favorite ways is to get a leaf of fresh French or Italian bread, cut it the long way and take out the insides and take part of that and mix it with the taco meat along with minced or sliced red onion, butter the bread put the meat onion mix in the hollow, add mayo if I want it some, or mustard or taco sauce just a little of the taco sauce for flavor. cheese, lettuce any thing I like on taco's like cilantro, top with rest of bread, wrap in foil heat in oven til warm through...
kades

Put it on a spoon and lift it to my mouth...

Heuvos Rancheros!

:LOL:

Cook up some elbow macaroni, add a can of diced or mashed whole tomatoes, mushrooms, taco meat, green peppers, sauteed onions and anything else you can think of. You now have American Chop Suey. Very filling and enough to feed the whole family. They will never know it is leftovers. You have given them protein, carbs, and veggies all in one pot. :chef:

I use diced tomatoes in my taco meat mixture instead of water as called for on the spice mix packet.

I make crispy tacos, burritos, chili, chili mac & cheese, taco mac & cheese, mix with wild rice, freeze for later.

I like to mix it with mac'n'cheese or rice with some diced tomatoes for a nice casserole. You can also use it with crescent rolls and make a Mexican calzone!

I like to mix it with mac'n'cheese or rice with some diced tomatoes for a nice casserole.

I've done this, too, but I add a cup of corn and a can of black beans to make it a bit more substantial, along with taco sauce or salsa for seasoning.

You can also mix the leftover taco meat with cheese and make quesadillas.

Last edited:
Exactly how much "leftover" taco meat do you normally have?

I make breakfast enclhiladas with scrambled eggs and my home made chorizo, but I guess you could use taco meat instead. I use one egg and a tablespoon of chorizo for each enchilada. I fry up the chorizo, add whisked egg and cook through, roll up in tortilla(s) warmed in the microwave to soften, and plate two each. Douse with enchilada sauce (red or green) and sprinkle liberally with shredded Mexican cheese of choice. Serve with Mexican (NOT SPANISH!) rice and some kind of beans. I always use whole beans because refried beans reminds me of canned dog food.

If you'd like the recipe for Mexican rice, or for the home made chorizo, just ask.

I've done this, too, but I add a cup of corn and a can of black beans to make it a bit more substantial, along with taco sauce or salsa for seasoning.

You can also mix the leftover taco meat with cheese and make quesadillas.

I add the beans and corn to my meat mixture in the first place so it's already in there!

Back
Top Bottom