What to do w/leftover taco meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[FONT=Arial Black, sans-serif]MEXICAN CHORIZO[/FONT]​
  • 2 pounds ground beef, goat, pork, or turkey
  • 4 cloves mashed garlic
  • 6 Tbs chili powder (If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder)
  • 2 Tbs oregano
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 Tbs water
  • 2 Tbs vinegar
  • 1½ tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide into quarters, roll each quarter into a log, and tightly wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. Refrigerate and/or freeze as desired.

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]MEXICAN RICE[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cup long grain white or brown rice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cup vegetable broth[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup beef broth (1 cup for brown rice)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 14½ oz can petite diced tomatoes, with juice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ red bell pepper, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ green bell pepper, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp ground cumin[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp Mexican oregano[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 tsp ground corriander[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]fresh cilantro for garnish [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Directions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pour vegetable broth, beef broth, and juice from petite diced tomatoes into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups (white rice) or 2½ cups (brown rice), if required. Put all ingredients into rice cooker or medium sized pot, and cook as you would everyday rice. Place finished rice in serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley.[/FONT]

Last edited:
What do you do with leftover taco meat?

Cooked (unseasoned?) ground beef, yes?

Enchiladas

Burritos

Egg rolls

Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Cabbage

Lasagna

Stromboli

Calzones

Runza

Pasties

Ravioli

Won-tons/dumplings

Meat/Tomato sauce

Pizza

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]MEXICAN RICE[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cup long grain white or brown rice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 cup vegetable broth[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ cup beef broth (1 cup for brown rice)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 14½ oz can petite diced tomatoes, with juice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ red bell pepper, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ green bell pepper, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp ground cumin[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp Mexican oregano[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 tsp ground corriander[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]fresh cilantro for garnish [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Directions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pour vegetable broth, beef broth, and juice from petite diced tomatoes into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups (white rice) or 2½ cups (brown rice), if required. Put all ingredients into rice cooker or medium sized pot, and cook as you would everyday rice. Place finished rice in serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley.[/FONT]

Sir Loin, your recipe looks very good but quite different from Classic pink Mexican Restaurant Rice, without vegetables. I love Spanish Rice however.

My friend owns a Mexican restaurant here and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry white rice for a minute or two till it's opaque. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice every time.
*Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

I'm looking forward to using your recipe for home made Chorizo! It will be nice to know exactly what's in it. ;)

Thanks! Both sound simple enough. I usually add the spices to the chunks of meat and let them marry overnight, and then grind. Are you starting with ground from the store or meat you are grinding?

Cooked (unseasoned?) ground beef, yes?...

I use seasoned ground beef for tacos: 1# ground beef, 1 chopped onion, a packet of taco seasoning, and a can of diced tomatoes with liquid (instead of water called for on the seasoning packet). It makes quite a bit of taco meat mixture and I'm only cooking for myself, so lots left over for other dishes.

You made some good suggestions for using the leftovers. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir Loin, your recipe looks very good but quite different from Classic pink Mexican Restaurant Rice, without vegetables. I love Spanish Rice however.

My friend owns a Mexican restaurant here and I could never get it just right until she taught me how. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil to a sauce pan, and saute one cup of dry white rice for a minute or two till it's opaque. Add 1 and 3/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 tsp. of cumin, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover, and cut heat to the lowest flame. Let it simmer for 15 min. Fluff with a fork. Perfect Mexican rice every time.
*Do not try to substitute any other tomato product.....it just won't work.
BTW, I buy tomato paste in a tube rather than by the can. It's always ready for this recipe, and others, in the fridge without opening a whole can.

I'm looking forward to using your recipe for home made Chorizo! It will be nice to know exactly what's in it. ;)

Spanish rice has a tomato sauce, Mexican rice has tomatoes.

I started making my own Chorizo because the stuff you buy in the plastic tube in the store turns to mostly grease and very little meat when you cook it. I've made it with ground beef and ground pork, but lately I've been using ground turkey. I want to try it with goat, which is what the original Mexican Chorizo was made from. You'd think in a neighborhood that is 75% Latino and Pilipino, I wouldn't have so much trouble finding ground goat, but none of the local meat markets carry it. I'd have to drive to the barrio to get it.

Last edited:
Shortcut Mexican Rice

1 3/4 cups water or chicken broth
1 cup rice
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. evoo
1/2 cup prepared salsa

Place water or broth, salt and oil in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add rice and stir in salsa. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.

I use seasoned ground beef for tacos: 1# ground beef, 1 chopped onion, a packet of taco seasoning, and a can of diced tomatoes with liquid (instead of water called for on the seasoning packet). It makes quite a bit of taco meat mixture and I'm only cooking for myself, so lots left over for other dishes.

You made some good suggestions for using the leftovers. Thanks.

You're welcome. I wasn't sure if the OP used ground beef, or what seasonings were added. But, one could easily adapt for Mexican pizza, Mexican egg rolls, etc. Add in green chilies, tomatoes, Mexican blend cheeses, avocado, black beans, roasted corn kernels, rice, cilantro or taco seasoning - whatever you like. I try to keep won-ton, gyoza or egg roll wrappers around, for a quick snack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom