$20 Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have bought spices and herbs and my spice rack is decently full so I bought them I just didn't and the mere cents I'd use into the equation. Same goes for eggs and chickens I didn't put in cost of feed or trucking or hours cleaning, etc I kept my math simple and right now. As well I have no pets.

Ok, fair enough. So really, this is "how can I fill in free proteins and other freebies to spend $20 a week".

Yes? I dunno, I'm sorry if I'm coming across in a harsh manner. This thread seems a bit astray for initial perceptions thereof.

I just bought my groceries for the month and I spent $154 already. I bought ten pounds of hamburger and that alone was $38 (but it will last 3 months). I still need to go out and buy some potatoes and some other odds and ends I forgot. For me, that averages out to about $2.50 per meal x two meals a day. My goal is to only spend $3 per meal for a total of $6 a day. And that's for one person. I don't think I'd do too well on this challenge.

Ok, fair enough. So really, this is "how can I fill in free proteins and other freebies to spend $20 a week".

Yes? I dunno, I'm sorry if I'm coming across in a harsh manner. This thread seems a bit astray for initial perceptions thereof.

Most of the YouTube videos I have seen of people eating for X-dollars per week don't include staple items in the fridge and pantry, like spices, oils and condiments, since they last much, much longer than a week's worth of food.

I don't know how one would account for things like home grown veggies... or chickens and eggs. It did cost something to grow and raise those foods, unless you steal them from your neighbor's garden or farm. :ohmy::)

That kinda' puts a twist in the plot.

CD

So it's been a bit. So we made it through closer to $30 for that week but we had unexpected guests drop in for dinner 3 times so for 5 extra mouths to feed we did ok I think

That is great! I couldnt do a week on that, I would be eating lentils and potatoes and peas everyday and every meal to get that low.

Hey, no matter what the details are, and whether you hit the target, the effort to spend less money made you think about your buying. It is easy to shop on auto-pilot. It is a very worthwhile exercise to shop mindfully.

CD

Hey, no matter what the details are, and whether you hit the target, the effort to spend less money made you think about your buying. It is easy to shop on auto-pilot. It is a very worthwhile exercise to shop mindfully.

CD

I agree!

I also think that it is good to keep an eye on the dog's dish, the garbage can and the freezer. If you don't have trouble keeping any of them full you are probably spending way too much on groceries. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good job and congrats Kevin! Feeding extra unexpected folks sure can put a hole in the budget though. Before that becomes a habit on their part, I'm guessing you've found a solution?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom