"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Recently read consumer reports on inexpensive wines. They said Trader Joes, Chardonnay at $3.00@ bottle was a first pick in a blind study.Has anybody used Trader Joe's brand for cooking and liked it?Hard to believe it was considered a number one drinking wine in its class. We don't have a Trader Joe's in our town .I would travel a little distance if it was worth it. We have an Aldi which is Joe's parent company from Germany, but food stores are not allowed to sell wine in our state. Not that far to go out of state for a good cooking wine. Any comments appreciated.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Yes, I've had some very good Trader Joe's wine. A good cooking wine is one that you would also pour in a glass and enjoy drinking.
It is my understanding that TJ's wines are the surplus from the great brand name wines.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

To get back on subject, make sure you read the flyer from your regular store that you shop at. You can also find it on line. Plan your meals around what is on sale. And that shopping once a month is good advice. The less times you make a trip to the store, the less you spend on food.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #34
Executive Chef

What is that saying,"Filet taste on a burger budget." I'm not above a tasty ground beef stroganoff. I love the taste of Big Daddy's sloppy joe, but I sure as heck ain't gonna use ground filet as the recipe calls for.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
Executive Chef

It has been almost two years since the OP posted, and I would like to think that maybe they are at the point where they might be able to afford some of that inexpensive TJ wine. It would go great with the inexpensive meals they are having.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
Recently read consumer reports on inexpensive wines. They said Trader Joes....
Welcome to DC mysterychef! You're near our favorite deli, Rein's. Bit of a hike for us but they are worth it.

I've had TJ wines and beer, and also Aldi wines. They sell them in all OH stores but only four TJs here in MA. If you do the store locator thing on TJ's you can search for the two that sell beer and wine only and the additional two that sell beer, wine and spirits. All four are inside I-495.

Once when back in OH we bought red wine from Aldis and also from a nice winery in the area. Did a blind taste test during dinner - only I knew which was which. We all liked the Aldis better in spite of the fact that the "fine wine" was about 5 or 6 times more. We were impressed.

Remember when buying wine to cook with you always want it to be as good as one that you would drink. "I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I'll even add it to the food. "
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #37
Head Chef

"The less times you make a trip to the store, the less you spend on food. "

Not to mention It helps in creativity.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Remember when buying wine to cook with you always want it to be as good as one that you would drink. "I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I'll even add it to the food. "
I don't think the wine with which one cooks has to be as good as the one will serve with supper. It should be good enough for the chef to enjoy while cooking.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't think the wine with which one cooks has to be as good as the one will serve with supper. It should be good enough for the chef to enjoy while cooking.
I'm supposed to share? I figure it's good enough to drink (kitchen wine, but not "cooking wine" like Holland House) but not what I'd serve guests (dining room wine) unless they are very close family or friends. You know, the people who already know I'm cheap.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm supposed to share? I figure it's good enough to drink (kitchen wine, but not "cooking wine" like Holland House) but not what I'd serve guests (dining room wine) unless they are very close family or friends. You know, the people who already know I'm cheap.
Can I go off topic for just a second? Good. Thanks.
My MIL used to keep big bottles of different kinds of booze in her cabinet. When they got empty, she would buy a little bottle and pour it into the larger bottle so that guests wouldn't think she was cheap.

Tags
meals