Any ideas for very low budget, yet tasty, meals for couples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a warehouse club membership (eg Sam's Club, Costo) then you can save a ton by buying stuff in bulk. For instance, Sam's sells 25 lb boxes of converted rice for less than a 3 lb bag of Uncle Ben's costs at the local markets- and it's just as good. Same goes for basmati, etc. Dried beans are much cheaper than canned and also far better tasting, although they require a bit more planning. Some of the best deals are on the larger #10 (restaurant sized) cans which admittedly can be problematic for two but they needn't be. A gallon jug of may will last you a long time but it keeps well. Ditto for canned black olives. Pickles will also keep almost indefinitely.

Another trick you can use is to make batches of stuff and freeze or can it. Chili and other soups can be stored both ways. Canning takes a small investment in supplies but can be a lot of fun and save you money. It's also nice if you garden or have friends that do. Freezing of course costs you nothing, and keeping your freezer fuller will reduce energy use (plus give you a buffer in weather or financial emergencies).
I buy most things in large quantities at Costco even though I generally cook for one or two. It is surprising how many things will freeze well. 3# garlic costs 4 something yesterday, about the same as a 3 pack a the supermarket. I use heavy whipping cream, a quart around 2.50, I freeze it in ice cube trays. Whole beef primals are way less expensive than supermarket steak prices, and are easy to learn to cut,.

I .make large quantities of many dishes. Lasagne, chile, and a host of others. Freeze them in individual servings. It is not much more time consuming to make 10 pounds of something than it is to make a small portion.

Lentil & Sausage Soup

My wife and I made some Lentil and Sausage soup after having some at Carrabba's. Here is the recipe we make:

Lentil and Sausage Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

The only thing we do different is add a full pound of sausage instead of just a half-pound. The great thing is that Lentil's are cheap, cheap, cheap, and if you freeze the left-overs in 3 separate containers you can get 4 meals out of one making.

It won't get much cheaper than that.

My wife and I made some Lentil and Sausage soup after having some at Carrabba's. Here is the recipe we make:

Lentil and Sausage Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

The only thing we do different is add a full pound of sausage instead of just a half-pound. The great thing is that Lentil's are cheap, cheap, cheap, and if you freeze the left-overs in 3 separate containers you can get 4 meals out of one making.

It won't get much cheaper than that.
If you were to make your own sausage, you could possibly cut the cost even more. Sounds good!

The pea pod soup I made on Canada Day is a "no cost" meal (almost) if one has a garden (I do and have carrots, onions, peas, potatoes, etc.), makes their own stock (I save the veggie water from steaming veggies so used that). And, a good way to use the pods before tossing them in the compost (or to the chickens). I could see not making it as a cold soup and adding leftover ham, turkey, or sausage to it as well.

Pea Pod Soup a la Romana

One of our favorite cheap meals is beef hot dogs cut into chunks and heated up in sauerkraut and served with peas. :yum:

One of my go to quick, easy, healthy, cheap meals is to sautée some onion and garlic in olive oil, add a can of diced tomatoes, a can of cannelloni beans and some fresh or frozen kale. Drain liquid or add them depending if you want a dish or a soup.

Baked oatmeal is a great way to use bulk oats and fresh eggs, both of which are inexpensive. Throw in some chicken apple sausage and drizzle with maple syrup and you're good to go.

I would say just eat what you love and save money by either :
Buying meats in bulk at your butcher and packing and portioning it yourself and freezing in Ziplock bags. Mark the bags, once frozen it's hard to tell what is what.

Buy larger quantities of veg, they are cheaper and you can process and freeze some for later use.

Add bulk to things like mince by adding lentils or beans.

Buy beans dried and cook a large batch and freeze single portions of the cooked beans in Ziplock packets.

You can make a number of delicious soups and freeze in plastic containers for later use.

Buy meats and cheeses on sale when possible, grated cheddar and gouda can be frozen in portions to use on things like lasagna etc.

I buy my meat directly from the supplier and I save almost half of what I used to spend monthly. I buy veggies and fruit at the horticultural market in large bags and prep and freeze extra.
Try store brands of things like tinned food, pasta, rice, cereal etc, Usually they are just as good and sometimes even better than name brands.
Try and do a monthly shop to avoid going to the store often during the month. You will be surprised how much money one wastes when buying daily or weekly. Ever go to the store for milk and find yourself with a full bag when you get home filled with mostly items that you don't need?
You don't have to give up certain food because you have a budget, just buy smart and plan meals :)

Best advice I have ever read.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Homemade gnocchi or cavatelli, or even ravioli/tortellini can be very economical and are relatively easy. I've found some really good brands of crushed tomatoes at some of our local discount grocery stores. There's one that I buy, called Diane's Garden, that is only 99 cents for a 28 ounce can and tastes just as good as the San Marzano tomatoes I was paying $4+ per can for.

Panko crusted eggplant parmesan would go well with this too.

Anything vegetarian for the most part is going to be cheaper than meat based dishes.

Recently read consumer reports on inexpensive wines. They said Trader Joes, Chardonnay at $3.00@ bottle was a first pick in a blind study.Has anybody used Trader Joe's brand for cooking and liked it?Hard to believe it was considered a number one drinking wine in its class. We don't have a Trader Joe's in our town .I would travel a little distance if it was worth it. We have an Aldi which is Joe's parent company from Germany, but food stores are not allowed to sell wine in our state. Not that far to go out of state for a good cooking wine. Any comments appreciated.

Yes, I've had some very good Trader Joe's wine. A good cooking wine is one that you would also pour in a glass and enjoy drinking.
It is my understanding that TJ's wines are the surplus from the great brand name wines.

To get back on subject, make sure you read the flyer from your regular store that you shop at. You can also find it on line. Plan your meals around what is on sale. And that shopping once a month is good advice. The less times you make a trip to the store, the less you spend on food. :angel:

What is that saying,"Filet taste on a burger budget." I'm not above a tasty ground beef stroganoff. I love the taste of Big Daddy's sloppy joe, but I sure as heck ain't gonna use ground filet as the recipe calls for.:ohmy:

It has been almost two years since the OP posted, and I would like to think that maybe they are at the point where they might be able to afford some of that inexpensive TJ wine. :rolleyes: It would go great with the inexpensive meals they are having. ;)

Recently read consumer reports on inexpensive wines. They said Trader Joes....

Welcome to DC mysterychef! You're near our favorite deli, Rein's. Bit of a hike for us but they are worth it.

I've had TJ wines and beer, and also Aldi wines. They sell them in all OH stores but only four TJs here in MA. If you do the store locator thing on TJ's you can search for the two that sell beer and wine only and the additional two that sell beer, wine and spirits. All four are inside I-495.

Once when back in OH we bought red wine from Aldis and also from a nice winery in the area. Did a blind taste test during dinner - only I knew which was which. We all liked the Aldis better in spite of the fact that the "fine wine" was about 5 or 6 times more. We were impressed.

Remember when buying wine to cook with you always want it to be as good as one that you would drink. "I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I'll even add it to the food. ;)"

"The less times you make a trip to the store, the less you spend on food. :angel: "

Not to mention It helps in creativity. ;)

Remember when buying wine to cook with you always want it to be as good as one that you would drink. "I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I'll even add it to the food. ;)"

I don't think the wine with which one cooks has to be as good as the one will serve with supper. It should be good enough for the chef to enjoy while cooking.

I don't think the wine with which one cooks has to be as good as the one will serve with supper. It should be good enough for the chef to enjoy while cooking.

I'm supposed to share? :ermm: :LOL: I figure it's good enough to drink (kitchen wine, but not "cooking wine" like Holland House) but not what I'd serve guests (dining room wine) unless they are very close family or friends. You know, the people who already know I'm cheap. ;)

I'm supposed to share? :ermm: :LOL: I figure it's good enough to drink (kitchen wine, but not "cooking wine" like Holland House) but not what I'd serve guests (dining room wine) unless they are very close family or friends. You know, the people who already know I'm cheap. ;)

Can I go off topic for just a second? Good. Thanks.
My MIL used to keep big bottles of different kinds of booze in her cabinet. When they got empty, she would buy a little bottle :LOL: and pour it into the larger bottle so that guests wouldn't think she was cheap. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom