"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
+1 Is there any other way to make bacon? I cook bacon in a CI skillet.
I gave up the skillet for bacon years ago, to be replaced with the oven at about 350F. Time depends on how crisp you want it. I generally a package or two at a time and freeze it. Then its only 30 seconds or less in the microwave for any need.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
+1 Is there any other way to make bacon? I cook bacon in a CI skillet. I start it HOT, drop the bacon in, lower it to med. Drizzle in some maple syrup....
I have always just let the bacon swim in the maple syrup that fell off of my pancakes or waffles or French toast. Yum! I need to try fixing it up with it's own syrup!

Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
I gave up the skillet for bacon years ago, to be replaced with the oven at about 350F. Time depends on how crisp you want it. I generally a package or two at a time and freeze it. Then its only 30 seconds or less in the microwave for any need.
When I was seasoning my CI skillet, I cooked bacon in it. Now, I cook bacon in the oven too. A pound fits in a half sheet pan. I do two at a time. I bake it at 400 F.

I used to use a rack in the sheet pan but it's too hard to clean. Now I just use the sheet pan I've sprayed with Pam.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Doesn't cooking bacon in the oven get a lot of grease on the walls of the oven? I would rather clean a skillet than the oven.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

There may be some spatter. Not very much. I really like the way bacon cooks in the oven. I prefer my bacon not cooked as much as some. In my opinion, bacon should not shatter when dropped and should still be recognizable as a meat product. There is more uniform cooking, less shrinkage and flatter end product. I drain the bacon on paper towels then roll the strips up in a long strip of paper towels and freeze.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was thinking more of the amount of grease that gets into the air of the oven and then settles on all the surfaces. I have gotten Stirling to quit cooking sausage in the oven for that reason.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I clean my oven almost every 2 weeks. I do the rings and burner pans every Sunday. I don't find that there is a lot of splatter...my parents cook their bacon in the microwave...talk about a mess to clean. I used to broil the bacon, but the truth is, I like it done in the CI skillet. Once the bacon goes in the hot pan, I turn the pan down. I can do crispy, I can do mid-range...I get compliments on how well I cook bacon. I do think the secret is the maple syrup.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I buy bacon anywhere from two to five pounds at a time when it's on special and pre-cook it my own damn self. I put it on wire racks on jelly roll pans and bake it at 375F for about 20 minutes. When it cools enough to handle it I place it on sheets of waxed paper by fours, stack them up, slide the stack into a Zip Lock freezer bag and stick it in the freezer. I pour off the bacon squeezin's from the sheet pans into a Glad container with a screw-on lid that I keep next to the stove.

When I want bacon for breakfast, BLTs, bacon cheeseburgers or whatever, I take out the required amount, place them on paper towels, and nuke them in the microwave for 1:05 for 4 slices.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I buy bacon anywhere from two to five pounds at a time when it's on special and pre-cook it my own damn self. I put it on wire racks on jelly roll pans and bake it at 375F for about 20 minutes. When it cools enough to handle it I place it on sheets of waxed paper by fours, stack them up, slide the stack into a Zip Lock freezer bag and stick it in the freezer. I pour off the bacon squeezin's from the sheet pans into a Glad container with a screw-on lid that I keep next to the stove.

When I want bacon for breakfast, BLTs, bacon cheeseburgers or whatever, I take out the required amount, place them on paper towels, and nuke them in the microwave for 1:05 for 4 slices.
I tend to make a pound of bacon at a time and do the same. I also make bacon bits--I put 2 sheets of paper toweling on a cookie sheet, cover the bacon with 2 more sheets, and use a rolling pin to crush. I put these in a ziplock bag and toss in the freezer. I always have bacon bits for salads, etc. this way.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was thinking more of the amount of grease that gets into the air of the oven and then settles on all the surfaces. I have gotten Stirling to quit cooking sausage in the oven for that reason.

It hasn't been an issue for me. I use the oven's self-cleaning feature as needed to prevent the oven from smoking when it's turned on. When I use the oven between bacon cooking events, there is no smell, smoke or other disturbing results of cooking bacon in the oven.

Tags
bacon