Bacon vs. Precooked Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I was shopping at Aldi's yesterday and saw precooked bacon for about $2 for 2 oz, which ends up being $16/lb.
Then shopping at Sam's Club and Hormel Bacon a 3 lb package uncooked bacon was about $9, which ends up $3/lb.

I cooked down the Hormel Bacon and out of 3 lbs uncooked, it came out to almost exactly 1 lb cooked. So that would be $9/lb for cooked bacon.

I've never tried the precooked bacon, is it any good?

We're having BLT's today, mmmmmmmm.

I've never tried the precooked. Thank you for doing the cooking and weighing. I never took the time to figure out how much cooked bacon you get from a pound.

I've never tried the precooked. Thank you for doing the cooking and weighing. I never took the time to figure out how much cooked bacon you get from a pound.

You're welcome.
Bacon is expensive, I probably should buy a pig or maybe just a half a pig. Oink oink oink :pig:

I've never tried the pre-cooked stuff nor really had the desire. We live in a heavy pork-raising region so nearly all our pork products are awesome.

I don't buy "name" bacon. Just the bacon our market sells that comes from area hog farmers. It's the REAL thing. Nice and thick and meaty. Tastes sooooo good. There's not as much cook-away from the bacon I buy, which probably makes it more economical. Depending on whether or not the bacon is on sale, I rarely pay more than $4 per pound.

When the bacon is cooked it's still nearly the same size it was when put into the pan and there's not a whole lot of grease left in the pan. We almost had a bacon grease "crisis" here a couple of weeks ago when our stash in the refrigerator got dangerously low.:ohmy::ROFLMAO: Can't make respectable cornbread in the South without bacon grease. I certainly wouldn't want the country cooking food police coming after me.:huh:

Most of the time, the only reason bacon is served with liver in my house is because of the lack of bacon grease...

Katie, I save the bacon grease for fried green tomatoes.

There was 10 oz of bacon grease, 1 lb cooked bacon, and 1 lb 6 oz of air, I guess.:LOL:

I buy the pre-cooked sometimes so I don't have to deal with stinky hair and buckets of bacon grease when making BLTs. When I buy uncooked it's the thick sliced and then I cook it in the oven and load my refrigerator with my own pre-cooked bacon... no spatters and nice flat bacon.

The precooked is actually not bad.

However, I do love my bacon grease....

I'd be totally humidified too, but if you make any bacon chocolate candy I hope I can convince you to send me a care package. :)

Can I haz bacon candy? ;)

Last edited:
I'd be totally humidified too, but if you make any bacon chocolate candy I hope I can convince you to send me a care package. :)

Can I haz bacon candy? ;)

:LOL:
I think bacon candy would be better if the bacon was baked flat instead of cooked curly in a pan, like I do. I've heard baking it with brown sugar on top is wonderful too! Oh, what about brown sugar glazed bacon WITH chocolate?

Brought it once, as I was in a pinch, on my way to a picinic and forgot the bacon I already cooked to top my potatoe casserole after it cooked. Stopped at the store and brought it. Was ok but expensive.
I buy bacon in bulk and cook 1 lb of it layed out on cooling rack over a sheet pan - stay nice and flat. Then layer it in a plastic container,separting each layer with plasctic wrap,and freeze that where I can take as much or little out as I need it.
For the uncooked I layer in another plastic container separted with plastic and freeze again for little or as much as I need at the time,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom