Beef and beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Well, almost! (venison and pork isn't beef--it's what was in the freezer)
I decided to add beans to our weekly dishes (some each week somehow), which will displace some more expensive choices and it will be easy to warm up. The longer it cooks and ages, the more mello the flavor.
We had some last week w/o meat and everyone loved it.

2 lb bag of dried northern beans, cooked yesterday to tender. This makes about a gallon of northern beans.

3 lbs of venison/pork homemade sausage (you can use hamburger or ground pork or turkey), cooked with
3 medium onions diced
3 cups of diced tomatoes
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown spicy mustard
1/3 cup vinegar
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1 T. garlic powder
2 T. sweet paprika
Molasses--was out but would add some if I had some
Bacon-chopped and cooked--was out but it would be a nice thing to add too
Cook until boiling, then add in the cooked beans.

Bring to a boil and then simmer for a while.
It looks like this (almost like chili and beans w/o chili)
wIMG_0081.jpg

Last week when I made this w/o meat, it was like this when I first cooked it, and then after cooling for a couple hours the beans really soaked up the color of the sauce and flavor of the sauce into the beans--more carmelized. It was better later. After a day or so I'll portion it and freeze it for a quick meal in individual portions to warm up after work or to take to work for lunch.

I like garbanzo beans for salads, and hummus sometimes too so I'll make those once in a while. Anyone else notice garbanzo beans (dry) were impossible to find last year? I ended up sharing 20 lbs with some work mates and ordering them online.

~Bliss

That looks great. I just love anything with beans. This past weekend I came across a recipe very similar to this and plan to make it this week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom