Beef & gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
or -bleep- on a shingle.
ground beef, white sauce, seasonings, (lotsa black pepper), over bread with mashed taters.

also, ham, cabbage & taters.
pressure cook with ham base.

Same here!! LOL. But I swear it was thin sliced corned beef that was used? I am remembering three variations. One had bread, then beef, then mashed potatoes and gravy. The other had bread, turkey, stuffing, and gravy. What we called SOS though was bread, cornded beef, and white gravy with lots of black pepper in it.

I think it's actually supposed to be chipped beef but hamburger was cheaper and we didn't have much money when I was a kid so my Mama made it with hamburger.

my mom used chipped beef and sauce and put it on toast. hence the shingle.

babe:chef:
My mom taught me the same way, and to rinse each chip of beef before making it so it wasn't so salty. ~Bliss

Did anyone else have peas in theirs besides us? I loved it with peas!

I always serve it with peas on the side, and mix them up when I eat it.

Mama, my ex liked it with hamburger sometimes...he said that's the way they fixed it in the army.

By the way, my mother called it creamed beef.

Ahh - "Chipped Beef On Toast". Growing up, this was one of the "last days before dad's payday" meals - lol!!

Dad used to get paid every 3 weeks, & we always knew when that day was coming up due to "Chipped Beef On Toast", "Curried Eggs On Toast", "Franks 'n Beans", etc., etc. Of course, after the "big day", it'd be back to London Broil, Pork Roast, Roast Duck, etc., etc. - lol!!

My absolute, most favorite, thanks Mom! breakfast of all time as a kid.
I was a happy boy when Mom made SOS!

Never made it myself, but my wife does a good job, thank goodness. :)

Technically - "stuff" on a shingle (SOS) is creamed chipped beef on toast. Chipped beef is thinly sliced salt and/or smoke cured beef. Mom used to make it occasionally when I was young - and then I got a chance to eat a lot of it when I was in the Navy. And, I still like it! The only real dried beef stuff that I know of these days is sold by Armour as Sliced Dried Beef - and it's not really cheap.

A cheaper alternative, with a similar flavor, is thinly sliced beef or pastrami sold in little 4-oz pouches in the lunch-meat aisle - Carl Buddig smoked sliced beef is one example, Albertson's had their own store brand that was similar and cheaper - usually 3/$1 but sometimes on sale for 4/$1. Since it is not dried it has to be refrigerated - unlike the Armour dried beef, but I could usualy save about $1.50 or more per 4-oz of beef.

Mom did make something with ground beef like has been mentioned - she browned the hamburger with some diced onion, and a little garlic powder, added some flour to make a roux, added some milk and a can of peas. This got served over either egg noodles or rice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom