Beef Stroganoff on the cheap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandCountryStore

Assistant Cook
I make this all the time and it is too easy and really inexpensive.

This makes enough for 2 people.

1 can of Campbell's French Onion Soup
1 16 oz container of sour cream
1/2 lb ground beef
salt and pepper
cooked egg noodles (or whatever noodle you have available)

Cook the ground beef. Add the soup and heat. Add the sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the cooked egg noodles. YUM!

If you like a thicker sauce just put a little corn starch water in to thicken.

I make this all the time and it is too easy and really inexpensive.

This makes enough for 2 people.

1 can of Campbell's French Onion Soup
1 16 oz container of sour cream
1/2 lb ground beef
salt and pepper
cooked egg noodles (or whatever noodle you have available)

Cook the ground beef. Add the soup and heat. Add the sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the cooked egg noodles. YUM!

If you like a thicker sauce just put a little corn starch water in to thicken.
Try it with cream of mushroom soup sometime instead of the onion, fry some onion with the ground beef.

+1 for the Cream of Mushroom Soup instead of the French Onion Soup, that's how my mom did it. I like to add a little bit of onion when cooking the meat also.

What brand of cream of mushroom soup do you use for your recipe and is it condensed?

I use condensed - and brand doesn't really matter. I grew up on Campbell's soup but I have no problem using a store brand if it is good. I don't really notice any difference using Great Value (Wal-Mart brand) which runs $0.50-$0.89 vs Campbell's which runs about $1.69. I also use Wal-Mart milk, Wal-Mart butter, Wal-Mart sour cream and Wal-Mart ground beef.

Thanks Michael, I grew up using only Campbell's but I will give Wal-mart's brand a try.

I grew up on Campbell's with my dad but when my dad moved to PA and met his new girlfriend, she convinced him Great Value was the way to go. I'm not a fan, I find it gloppy and not as recipe friendly as Campbells. It's one area I don't skimp on. It's not worth saving 10 cents, the price difference around here, to chance the recipe not coming out the way I'm used to. This is sort of a reflection on what happened when I used Great Value sugar in a recipe and it was ruined. Granted, I drink Great Value milk, but that's the only Great Value food I eat. I can honestly tell a difference, and I proved it in a "blind taste test" between Kraft cheese and Great Value.

My "beef stroganoff on the cheap" is a little different"

Katie's Ground Beef Stroganoff
(Serves 4 to 6)

1 lb. lean ground beef (about 20% fat)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (10 1/2-oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 1/2-oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (4-oz.) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup sour cream

In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add soups and mushrooms. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture is heated through and just begins to bubble. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat; stir in sour cream. Do not overheat or the sour cream will curdle. Serve immediately over hot, lightly-buttered noodles.

This has been a winner in my family for close to 40 years. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Although many recipes call for mushrooms, it doesn't need to have mushrooms in it to be called Stroganoff. It refers to braised meat finished with sour cream.

Traditional beef stroganov or stroganoff is not a braised dish. Rather, it is a quickly cooked dish using sauteed tenderloin finished with sour cream. Mushrooms and onions have become a traditional part of the dish.

As the traditonal recipe is so easy to make, substituting CofM soup for sour cream doesn't make much of a difference or save time.

Substituting ground beef for the tenderloin makes it a more budget friendly dish without sacrificing the sauteed beef flavor.

I guess I was just replying to those who seem to insist on it containing mushrooms...

Back
Top Bottom