Biksemad - Danish hash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Got it from Biksemad med billede Alletiders Kogebog (which has pictures) and tweaked it.

This is for two large servings:

200 grams cooked meat, cut into small cubes
400 grams onions, cut into rings
50 grams bacon
400 grams cooked potatoes cut into chunks
OR
400 grams raw potatoes, diced approximately 1 cm (or 1/2 inch)
100 grams butter (or bacon fat)
2 eggs
1/4 to 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley

Cut bacon slices into 2 cm pieces.
Fry the bacon pieces in half of the butter or bacon fat until crisp.
Remove bacon with a slotted spoon.

If using raw potatoes, fry them in the butter or bacon fat left on the pan until nearly fully cooked.
Add the rest of the butter or bacon fat and let it heat up, then add the onions and fry until they are slightly brown. Stir occasionally.

If using cooked potatoes, fry the onions in the butter or bacon fat left on the pan until just starting to brown.
Turn up the heat.
Add the rest of the butter or bacon fat and let it heat up, then add the cooked potato pieces and fry until the potatoes are golden. Stir occasionally.

Add the cubed meat and parsley.
Mix well, turn down the heat.
Let it "simmer" for 3-4 minuts until everything is well heated.

Put the "biksemad" on a heated serving plate, but leave the fat on the frying pan.
Fry the eggs.
Arrange the eggs on top of the "biksemad" and sprinkle with the bacon pieces.

We often skip the egg, because that's a lot of food. Goes well with pickled beets.

Thanks. Sure looks like a dish I could eat for any meal of the day. The concept of frying bacon in butter is a novel one to me. Of course there's all kinds of bacon. Looks pretty rich, considering we're talking about nearly 1/2 of a U.S. stick of butter per person.
How's the heart attack rate in Denmark :) ?

Would be nice if you could add 'hash' as a tag but I'll try to remember Biksemad.

Last edited:
Thanks. Sure looks like a dish I could eat for any meal of the day. The concept of frying bacon in butter is a novel one to me. Of course there's all kinds of bacon. Looks pretty rich, considering we're talking about nearly 1/2 of a U.S. stick of butter per person.
How's the heart attack rate in Denmark :) ?

Would be nice if you could add 'hash' as a tag but I'll try to remember Biksemad.

Danes love their butter ;) I'm not sure about the heart attack rate. My husband usually makes this, I think we cut back on the amount of fat that we use. The bacon is just the regular stripey bacon we get here in North America.

How would I add hash as a tag?

Back
Top Bottom