Bolognese sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
I'm going to make a bolognese meat sauce tomorrow and slow simmer it all day. It's a nice budget friendly dish because it's made with 3 pounds of hamburger, so it should last us at least 3 or 4 meals.

I've never made it before. It has celery, carrots, onions, whole peeled tomatoes, ground nutmeg, white wine, milk, butter, salt, pepper. The nutmeg was kinda pricey at $5.50 for the tiny little jar of it, but it should last a long time for other recipes.

Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Marcella Hazan's recipe. Any fans of bolognese sauce? I figure it'll be better than my usual method of cooking the hamburg in the cast iron and then pouring a jar of Barilla pasta sauce into it. :)

Gia Russa pasta is on sale, so I bought 4 boxes of Rigatoni to go with it. We'll have it 3 nights over the next week. I once bought the store brand of pasta, and it was not good. So I stick to Barilla or Gia Russa for pasta.

Last edited:
I love to try different variations of bolognese. I use most of the ingredients in your recipe, but I also use different cuts like short ribs, brisket, shank, Italian sausage. Red wine..let it simmer for minimum 3 hours. Sometimes I don't even eat it that day. but portion it out for the freezer...

That's the beauty of this sauce. You can do it however you want..

You can't go wrong with a Marcella Hazan recipe. I also make a Bolognese sauce with shredded chuck roast. A much better (in my opinion) texture than ground meat. I make another with pork shoulder. Both are excellent.

I'm going to make a bolognese meat sauce tomorrow and slow simmer it all day. It's a nice budget friendly dish because it's made with 3 pounds of hamburger, so it should last us at least 3 or 4 meals.

I've never made it before. It has celery, carrots, onions, whole peeled tomatoes, ground nutmeg, white wine, milk, butter, salt, pepper. The nutmeg was kinda pricey at $5.50 for the tiny little jar of it, but it should last a long time for other recipes.

Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Marcella Hazan's recipe. Any fans of bolognese sauce? I figure it'll be better than my usual method of cooking the hamburg in the cast iron and then pouring a jar of Barilla pasta sauce into it. :)

Gia Russa pasta is on sale, so I bought 4 boxes of Rigatoni to go with it. We'll have it 3 nights over the next week. I once bought the store brand of pasta, and it was not good. So I stick to Barilla or Gia Russa for pasta.
I hope you bought whole nutmegs to grate yourself because the ready grated stuff loses its flavour very quickly once the jar is opened.

Marcella Hazan's recipe will definitely be better than the jar of sauce method you mention :yum:. The sauce will freeze well but not forever and can be used for other things. I sometime make a shepherd's pie with left-over bol sauce.

I hope you bought whole nutmegs to grate yourself because the ready grated stuff loses its flavour very quickly once the jar is opened.

Marcella Hazan's recipe will definitely be better than the jar of sauce method you mention :yum:. The sauce will freeze well but not forever and can be used for other things. I sometime make a shepherd's pie with left-over bol sauce.

I'll have to get whole nutmeg next time. I just got the pre-ground stuff.

The sauce came out well. When I poured the wine in and it was cooking out at high temp, the smells were nice. Then when it simmered away for 4 hours on the stove it came out great. Wife thought it was a little thin, watery. lol. She's used to jarred sauces.

You can't go wrong with a Marcella Hazan recipe. I also make a Bolognese sauce with shredded chuck roast. A much better (in my opinion) texture than ground meat. I make another with pork shoulder. Both are excellent.

Andy, the idea of chuck roast or pork shoulder appeals to me in this recipe.
Can you tell me how to adapt this recipe?

Kayelle, in recent months I've linked to both the pork and beef chuck recipes. I'll take a look at this one when I'm at home. On the road now.

I'll have to get whole nutmeg next time. I just got the pre-ground stuff.

The sauce came out well. When I poured the wine in and it was cooking out at high temp, the smells were nice. Then when it simmered away for 4 hours on the stove it came out great. Wife thought it was a little thin, watery. lol. She's used to jarred sauces.

That is what pasta water is for!;)

Andy, do you cook the chuck/pork in the sauce and then shred it, adding it back or braise/roast it ahead, then add it?

Last edited:
Kayelle and Craig, I cut the pork or chuck roast into 2"-3" chunks and thoroughly brown them in the pot then cook the meat with all the other ingredients until the chunks are easily shreddable. Then I shred and re-combine with the sauce.

For the linked recipe in this thread, I'd start by browning chunks of the meat of your choice and proceeding with the recipe.

We had it again tonight. I emptied it into a pot and added a little more dry white wine and got it hot to burn off the wine. I also threw some fresh garlic in it.

Then I made a pasta bake. I put a layer of cooked rigatoni pasta in a pyrex and poured the bolognese sauce over it and topped it with some freshly grated mozzarella. Baked at 400 for 30 minutes.

Wow it was even better. Great stuff. And we have some left for a 3rd night day after tomorrow.

Pretty simple recipe. Just saute a mirepoix in a pan in some butter/EVOO and then cook the meat in with it, salt it, add some white wine and burn it off. Then add milk and nutmeg and burn it off and then add the peeled whole tomatoes (rough chopped) and simmer it for 4 hours. I have this one memorized. :) Way better than a jarred sauce.

The original recipe doesn't call for it, but if you like garlic I'd definitely add it -- yum.

Last edited:
So use less onions! I'm pretty sure that Chef John won't show up at your place to read you the riot act. ;)

I think the point of that recipe was all the onions. But even if he did show up at my place, one look at my kitchen (which is probably smaller than his shower) would send him screaming back down the road. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom