"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bolognese sauce

I'm going to make a bolognese meat sauce tomorrow and slow simmer it all day. It's a nice budget friendly dish because it's made with 3 pounds of hamburger, so it should last us at least 3 or 4 meals.

I've never made it before. It has celery, carrots, onions, whole peeled tomatoes, ground nutmeg, white wine, milk, butter, salt, pepper. The nutmeg was kinda pricey at $5.50 for the tiny little jar of it, but it should last a long time for other recipes.

Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Marcella Hazan's recipe. Any fans of bolognese sauce? I figure it'll be better than my usual method of cooking the hamburg in the cast iron and then pouring a jar of Barilla pasta sauce into it. :)

Gia Russa pasta is on sale, so I bought 4 boxes of Rigatoni to go with it. We'll have it 3 nights over the next week. I once bought the store brand of pasta, and it was not good. So I stick to Barilla or Gia Russa for pasta.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I love to try different variations of bolognese. I use most of the ingredients in your recipe, but I also use different cuts like short ribs, brisket, shank, Italian sausage. Red wine..let it simmer for minimum 3 hours. Sometimes I don't even eat it that day. but portion it out for the freezer...

That's the beauty of this sauce. You can do it however you want..

Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You can't go wrong with a Marcella Hazan recipe. I also make a Bolognese sauce with shredded chuck roast. A much better (in my opinion) texture than ground meat. I make another with pork shoulder. Both are excellent.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
Master Chef

That's an excellent recipe!

I leave out the nutmeg, myself...
Old 04-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
I'm going to make a bolognese meat sauce tomorrow and slow simmer it all day. It's a nice budget friendly dish because it's made with 3 pounds of hamburger, so it should last us at least 3 or 4 meals.

I've never made it before. It has celery, carrots, onions, whole peeled tomatoes, ground nutmeg, white wine, milk, butter, salt, pepper. The nutmeg was kinda pricey at $5.50 for the tiny little jar of it, but it should last a long time for other recipes.

Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Marcella Hazan's recipe. Any fans of bolognese sauce? I figure it'll be better than my usual method of cooking the hamburg in the cast iron and then pouring a jar of Barilla pasta sauce into it. :)

Gia Russa pasta is on sale, so I bought 4 boxes of Rigatoni to go with it. We'll have it 3 nights over the next week. I once bought the store brand of pasta, and it was not good. So I stick to Barilla or Gia Russa for pasta.
I hope you bought whole nutmegs to grate yourself because the ready grated stuff loses its flavour very quickly once the jar is opened.

Marcella Hazan's recipe will definitely be better than the jar of sauce method you mention . The sauce will freeze well but not forever and can be used for other things. I sometime make a shepherd's pie with left-over bol sauce.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That's an excellent recipe!

I leave out the nutmeg, myself...
I use it in the cheese sauce for lasagna - or for any other cheese sauce for that matter. Not enough to taste but just enough to improve the overall taste.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I hope you bought whole nutmegs to grate yourself because the ready grated stuff loses its flavour very quickly once the jar is opened.

Marcella Hazan's recipe will definitely be better than the jar of sauce method you mention . The sauce will freeze well but not forever and can be used for other things. I sometime make a shepherd's pie with left-over bol sauce.
I'll have to get whole nutmeg next time. I just got the pre-ground stuff.

The sauce came out well. When I poured the wine in and it was cooking out at high temp, the smells were nice. Then when it simmered away for 4 hours on the stove it came out great. Wife thought it was a little thin, watery. lol. She's used to jarred sauces.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can't go wrong with a Marcella Hazan recipe. I also make a Bolognese sauce with shredded chuck roast. A much better (in my opinion) texture than ground meat. I make another with pork shoulder. Both are excellent.
Andy, the idea of chuck roast or pork shoulder appeals to me in this recipe.
Can you tell me how to adapt this recipe?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Kayelle, in recent months I've linked to both the pork and beef chuck recipes. I'll take a look at this one when I'm at home. On the road now.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
I'll have to get whole nutmeg next time. I just got the pre-ground stuff.

The sauce came out well. When I poured the wine in and it was cooking out at high temp, the smells were nice. Then when it simmered away for 4 hours on the stove it came out great. Wife thought it was a little thin, watery. lol. She's used to jarred sauces.
That is what pasta water is for!

Andy, do you cook the chuck/pork in the sauce and then shred it, adding it back or braise/roast it ahead, then add it?

Tags
sauce