"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Bolognese sauce

I'm going to make a bolognese meat sauce tomorrow and slow simmer it all day. It's a nice budget friendly dish because it's made with 3 pounds of hamburger, so it should last us at least 3 or 4 meals.

I've never made it before. It has celery, carrots, onions, whole peeled tomatoes, ground nutmeg, white wine, milk, butter, salt, pepper. The nutmeg was kinda pricey at $5.50 for the tiny little jar of it, but it should last a long time for other recipes.

Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Marcella Hazan's recipe. Any fans of bolognese sauce? I figure it'll be better than my usual method of cooking the hamburg in the cast iron and then pouring a jar of Barilla pasta sauce into it. :)

Gia Russa pasta is on sale, so I bought 4 boxes of Rigatoni to go with it. We'll have it 3 nights over the next week. I once bought the store brand of pasta, and it was not good. So I stick to Barilla or Gia Russa for pasta.

__________________

__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
I love to try different variations of bolognese. I use most of the ingredients in your recipe, but I also use different cuts like short ribs, brisket, shank, Italian sausage. Red wine..let it simmer for minimum 3 hours. Sometimes I don't even eat it that day. but portion it out for the freezer...

That's the beauty of this sauce. You can do it however you want..
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,369
You can't go wrong with a Marcella Hazan recipe. I also make a Bolognese sauce with shredded chuck roast. A much better (in my opinion) texture than ground meat. I make another with pork shoulder. Both are excellent.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
That's an excellent recipe!

I leave out the nutmeg, myself...
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
I'm going to make a bolognese meat sauce tomorrow and slow simmer it all day. It's a nice budget friendly dish because it's made with 3 pounds of hamburger, so it should last us at least 3 or 4 meals.

I've never made it before. It has celery, carrots, onions, whole peeled tomatoes, ground nutmeg, white wine, milk, butter, salt, pepper. The nutmeg was kinda pricey at $5.50 for the tiny little jar of it, but it should last a long time for other recipes.

Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking

Marcella Hazan's recipe. Any fans of bolognese sauce? I figure it'll be better than my usual method of cooking the hamburg in the cast iron and then pouring a jar of Barilla pasta sauce into it. :)

Gia Russa pasta is on sale, so I bought 4 boxes of Rigatoni to go with it. We'll have it 3 nights over the next week. I once bought the store brand of pasta, and it was not good. So I stick to Barilla or Gia Russa for pasta.
I hope you bought whole nutmegs to grate yourself because the ready grated stuff loses its flavour very quickly once the jar is opened.

Marcella Hazan's recipe will definitely be better than the jar of sauce method you mention . The sauce will freeze well but not forever and can be used for other things. I sometime make a shepherd's pie with left-over bol sauce.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That's an excellent recipe!

I leave out the nutmeg, myself...
I use it in the cheese sauce for lasagna - or for any other cheese sauce for that matter. Not enough to taste but just enough to improve the overall taste.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I hope you bought whole nutmegs to grate yourself because the ready grated stuff loses its flavour very quickly once the jar is opened.

Marcella Hazan's recipe will definitely be better than the jar of sauce method you mention . The sauce will freeze well but not forever and can be used for other things. I sometime make a shepherd's pie with left-over bol sauce.
I'll have to get whole nutmeg next time. I just got the pre-ground stuff.

The sauce came out well. When I poured the wine in and it was cooking out at high temp, the smells were nice. Then when it simmered away for 4 hours on the stove it came out great. Wife thought it was a little thin, watery. lol. She's used to jarred sauces.
__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can't go wrong with a Marcella Hazan recipe. I also make a Bolognese sauce with shredded chuck roast. A much better (in my opinion) texture than ground meat. I make another with pork shoulder. Both are excellent.
Andy, the idea of chuck roast or pork shoulder appeals to me in this recipe.
Can you tell me how to adapt this recipe?
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,369
Kayelle, in recent months I've linked to both the pork and beef chuck recipes. I'll take a look at this one when I'm at home. On the road now.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
I'll have to get whole nutmeg next time. I just got the pre-ground stuff.

The sauce came out well. When I poured the wine in and it was cooking out at high temp, the smells were nice. Then when it simmered away for 4 hours on the stove it came out great. Wife thought it was a little thin, watery. lol. She's used to jarred sauces.
That is what pasta water is for!

Andy, do you cook the chuck/pork in the sauce and then shred it, adding it back or braise/roast it ahead, then add it?
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sauce

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.