"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Buy groceries in bulk online

I never knew about stuff like this until yesterday, but apparently some food items are available online, in bulk, at prices FAR below what you pay in grocery stores.

Personally, I'm a big fan of "tinned fish". I love sardines, tuna, mackerel, and herring. My favorite is the "kippered" herring, the smoked kind. I'm a big fan of the "Polar" brand, it makes a great quick meal with some crackers, cheese, pickled veg, and a beer.

The tins cost about $3.50 in my local supermarket. Check this out, I can get a package of 18 from Amazon for only $21.50! That's like $1.19 per tin! These are TOP QUALITY German-canned kippers, definitely at the premium end for this kind of product in America, but I'd be getting them for peanuts.

18 Pack Case of 3.54oz. Kipper Snacks: Amazon.com: Grocery

Not sure what other food items can be bought this way, but I'll definitely be on the lookout.

BrazenAmateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Sous Chef
Last year I was anxious to try Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf and couldn't find it anywhere so bought a case from Amazon - and it IS good... but it was just too much - I ended up giving boxes away to everyone who came to my house. hah! But for something that you love and use very often, that's a great deal.
SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote