Calzone fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ingestiblebulk

Assistant Cook
i'm on a bit of a calzone kick right now, and i've been making some basic pepperoni and cheese zones. what i'm wondering is if anyone has any good ideas for more nonconventional fillings. i was thinking something with chicken, or perhaps a veggie calzone. any thoughts?

My favorite calzone to make is a ground chicken and cheese calzone. I take a pound of ground chicken and cook it in the skillet with whatever seasonings I want at the time. I tend to undercook it a bit. I then put that along with shredded cheese into my calzone dough and into the oven it goes.

Calzones have an Italian aura so most folks think of pizza toppings and flavors when they make calzones.

Think about other cuisines when trying to come up with fillings. Chinese, Mexican, BBQ, etc.

Oh, my gosh, you can put pretty much anythig, just like on the Pizza.
I love sundried tomato or fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, olives.

One of the best calzones I ever made had cooked brisket, barbecue sauce, sharp cheddar, and red onion. Absolutely divine!

For me a calzone is like and egg roll. Anything in the fridge is a likely candidate for fillings. I like to use leftover sloppy joe mix for filling, especially if I happen to have some stir fry veggies leftover too.

Great ideas! We like grilled chicken (leftover) with broccoli and cheese, sausage with onions and peppers and cheese, BBQ chicken and cheese. Now I'm hungry!

I'm a fan of BBQ sauce, a blend of Mozzarella and Cheddar, Broccoli, and pre-cooked bacon. If you have some pulled pork or chicken add that too!

spinach, mushrooms, ricotta and mozzarella

ham, swiss, ricotta and mozzarella

ham, pepperoni, salami, ricotta and mozzarella

sausage, red and green peppers, onions, ricotta and mozzarella

bacon, sausage, egg and cheese

Actually, anything you'd put into a submarine sandwich roll would work in a calzone. Condiments not necessarily included.

Also just think, any pizza toppings you've ever seen will work, even weird pizzas like mac and cheese or hamburger. And anything you've seen in a hot pocket, like ham cheese and egg!

the combinations I love...

spinach, mushrooms, cheddar or mozz
sliced turkey with spinach, mushrooms, cheddar or mozz
mushrooms, onion, olives, artichoke hearts and Fontina Cheese
sliced ham with onion, mushrooms, roasted red peppers and Havarti cheese
salami with ham, onions, peppers, artichoke hearts and mozz cheese

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom