"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2016, 01:03 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

jd, look into Better than Bouillon next time you're at the store. You just mix a teaspoon of the chicken (or other flavor) base with water and you have a tasty broth. This would add more flavor than water to your soup. I use it sometimes to make rice, too.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernadrynic View Post
As for me, canned soups are the worst thing ever, you could do the same soup by yourself, but it will be more delicious for the same sum
We've made some pretty good quick meals using canned soups for a base. As far as "worst things ever", any seafood from Asia ranks on top.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

My son makes a weird little meal using canned soup and a little cup of pre-cooked rice, and leftover chicken.

He heats up a can of lentil soup, then nukes the cup of rice and shreds or chops the chicken.

He turns the rice cup over in a big soup bowl so it retains the shape, then pours the lentil soup around it sorta like you would serve gumbo, and tops the soup with the chopped chicken and fresh parsley.

It's really good and quick, and I'm impressed by the plating.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #34
Sous Chef

I have Campbell cookbook some where, how to cook with soups. Soups I cant eat because my tummy is too sensitive. Shall I go and look for it?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I have Campbell cookbook some where, how to cook with soups. Soups I cant eat because my tummy is too sensitive. Shall I go and look for it?
My favorite recipe in that book is the one for Tomato Soup. Ingredients:one can of Campbell's tomato soup...tomatoes....genius!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #36
Master Chef

Dice some onions, carrots and potato, put your can of soup in the pot add some water and maybe herbs, cook long enough so potato and carrots are ready. Bam, poor man soup is done. Now take another step. Add some meatballs and cook them in soup. You mention orzo, great. You can add any grain or pasta you like.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #37
Cook

I didn't think I would be here, but I realized today, that while I was sick with chicken pox month ago, husband had bought some soups "for me". I will probably make some crusty bread and do it like meatless s.o.s for the mushroom soup. The chicken noodle, I may keep until HE gets sick again. And the tomato will probably go into a curry.
I lived off jello, tuna, crackers, and water- was too nauseated to eat and mostly slept, but it was sweet he thought about it, right after he had shingles, which was how I got chicken pox lol.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #38
Head Chef

There's a local Indian restaurant I go to, and from time to time they offer an "Indian tomato soup". Id bet a years salary that all it is is a doctored up version of Campbell's Tomato Soup. It tastes just like it, with the addition of garlic, chili pepper for spice, cumin and some fresh cilantro. Iv'e done the same thing at home ( since I bought a case of Campbell's Tomato soup during a local ' can can sale'. Need to get rid of them, so I appreciate a little variety to change things up a bit.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Lol, ShopRite can can sale?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Lol, ShopRite can can sale?
Oh Yeah, been taking advantage of that since Got married and lived in Philly.
If you looked at my pantry, you're think you were in an aisle at Shoprite.

Tags
budget, soup, soups