Canned soups as a base for a budget meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol, I seem to have always lived near a ShopRite as well.

(sung to the tune of Offenbach's Orpheus to the Underworld - The Can Can song)

Now, Shop Rite does the can-can
Selling lots of brands of everything in

‘Cans.’ Cans!
Today, it’s great to save some cash
So go to ShopRite’s Can Can Bash

From applesauce to zucchini,
It's a ShopRite spending spree!

Many times Ill take an udon noodle soup ( which is one of those premade , add water, flavor packet and the noodles) , In addition, Ill toss in a few vegetable dumplings, tofu, bok toy, bamboo shoots, dried shiitake and tree ear mushrooms, splash of sesame oil, and Im good to go. So I go both ways as well

Hey Larry, when using up all that tomato soup, don't forget the American Classic. Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Canned soups are a great base to use for the start of a casserole or a lot of other dishes. I just have to be careful using them even just as soup. They are very high in sodium. So I read the back label first. :angel:

Addie is right - it's important to watch the amount of sodium. For that and other reasons, I like Amy's, Wolfgang Puck, Pacific, and other higher-end soups.

Here's my list of additions for canned / boxed soups:

Chicken, turkey soup
Sage
Majoram
Thyme
Rosemary
Dash dry vermouth

Butternut squash
Nutmeg
Cloves
Creme fraiche
Bourbon
Cognac
Pumpkin seeds
Pecan pieces
Sage
Pine nuts, toasted

Mushroom / onion
Dry vermouth
Thyme
Leek slices
Dash Worcestershire
Straw mushrooms

Campbell’s has a website devoted to exactly this question. You should check it out they have opened my eyes to cooking with tomato soup lol

Campbell’s has a website devoted to exactly this question. You should check it out they have opened my eyes to cooking with tomato soup lol

Karen makes her chili with tomato soup. There are no tomato products in mine and no beans either.

How do you make chilli with no tomato or beans? If you say you add fish I’m out that’s not chilli lol

In some regional cuisines, putting beans and tomato in chili is just not done.

A Bowl of Red

I've heard all my adult life that real Texas chili never has beans. But, Just about everybody I know puts beans in their homemade chili. Some kind of tomato product, too.

CD

I use a lot more canned/boxed stocks/broths than I do packaged soups. I just don't want to take the time to make my own stocks, when I'm already happy with what I can buy. Now that I am older, and take meds for my blood pressure, I get low sodium products when available.

I can make a soup from store-boght stock/broth pretty easily, and cheaply. It is especially frugal if you are in a clean-out-the fridge mode. Leftovers are great for soups.

CD

As with many foods, what's called chili today, in most cases, has little to do with the way it was made back at its origin.

I've heard all my adult life that real Texas chili never has beans. But, Just about everybody I know puts beans in their homemade chili. Some kind of tomato product, too.

CD

I guess they wouldn't be allowed to compete at that cookoff or most chili cookoffs. Not sure about tomato, but beans are a no no.

I'm never at a loss for chicken broth because each time I take the meat off the bone, I take the skin and bones, roast them and then make a broth out of them. The only issue I have with it, is it takes up freezer space because after making the broth/stock, I rarely take time, unless it is a really big batch, to pressure can it. I keep 3 or 4 quarts of it on hand in the freezer all the time.

If you pressure can your own soups, it's not that hard. You can salt them as you prefer. Put all the soup ingredients into a big kettle. Say you want to pressure can 9 pints, so 4.5 quarts worth, cook it up. Sanitize your jars, fill them and top them with lids and screw tops. Put a few quarts of water in with the jars in the pressure canner. Vent the heated pressure canner for 10 minutes, then bring it up to pressure, cook for 75 minutes, let cool. For safety sake, use a tested canning recipe from a good source.

Since you can't safely can dairy, flour, noodles, in soup, you might want to serve it over noodles, or thicken it after opening and reheating.

I guess they wouldn't be allowed to compete at that cookoff or most chili cookoffs. Not sure about tomato, but beans are a no no.

Terlingua doesn't allow beans, but most champion's recipes that I have seen use some kind of tomato product.

One of my personal friends, and a professional mentor, was one of the founding members of CASI, the original sanctioning body for the Terlingua cookoff (and one of the original Terlingua "municipal board" members) . Over the years, we talked about cars and art for hours on end, but I never asked him about the cookoff, or talked about chili with him. I meant to, but just never did.

CD

Back
Top Bottom