Canned Tamales (split)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
This is somewhat off-topic, but I have to admit that I LOVE the various brands of tamales in a can. Mom used to buy them for me all the time, & sometimes I'll pick up a can for a "comfort food" lunch on a cold day. I'm definitely not a canned food snob. :)

I'll have to look for those canned tamales just to give them a try. I don't think I've ever seen them. I wonder if it's a regional thing....

Like Sedagive said, Hormel makes canned tamales - so does Austex, Kroger has them under their brand, etc.

I don't know where you will find them in your grocery - it "depends" on the store. Some stores put them with the canned chili - some have seperate "Mexican food" sections and will put them there. You may have to ask.

Here is a meal idea:

1 can Tamales
1 can Wolf brand chili (without beans) - or some other brand (or use hotdog chili sauce)
1 can Refried beans
1 can Spanish rice
butter
diced onion (yellow or white)
grated cheddar cheese

Remove the tamales from the can, remove the wrappers, and divide among plates.

Divide the can of chili and place on top of the tamales.

Divide the refried beans among the plates.

Divide the can of rice among the plates. It might be clumped together - so break it apart in your hand ... and a pat of butter wouldn't be bad to add.

Put diced onion and grated cheddar on the tamales and chili. Put about a tabelspoon of butter in the middle of the beans (top with a little cheese if you want).

All quantities are - to taste.

Pop each plate into the microwave for about 2-minutes. Or, heat each part seperately before plating and run under the broiler to melt the cheese - your choice.

Last edited:
I've never tried them as, while I love tamales, I figured they wouldn't translate well from a can. Good to hear otherwise, I'll pick some up the next time I see them.

Well - you're not going to mistake canned tamales with what you'd get at a good Mexican restaurant, but for those of us who enjoyed them way back before Mexican restaurant's were relatively commonplace, they hold a little place in our little comfort food hearts - lol!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom