Canned Tuna and Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reed422

Assistant Cook
I have a great budget friendly recipe for this that's tasty as can be. My version might be slightly more expensive than what you're looking for, but you could get away with the cheap tuna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post it by all means.

I just bought a pak of those small cans of Starkist solid white albacore. The package says "No Drain." I haven't opened one yet.

tunapasta.jpg

2oz Spaghetti or Linguini you can use another kind if that’s all you have
1 Can Italian Tuna in Olive Oil Mostly Drained
½ Pint Grape/Cherry Tomatoes Cut in Half
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Italian Parsley
1 Teaspoon Garlic
½ Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
⅛ Teaspoon Fermented Habanero Pepper or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1 minced chile , adjust to the level of heat you want

Drain the olive oil and add chop it slightly in the can. Add the Worcestershire sauce over top and marinate for a few minutes. Get the pasta water started while you make the sauce. By the time the pasta is done, so will the sauce. Always cook pasta 1 minute under so you can finish cooking in the sauce. Add olive oil to the pan and lightly cook garlic until fragrant. Add tomatoes to the pan cook for a minute.

Stir that around, and when the pasta has 2 minutes remaining add the tuna. Bust up the tuna a bit, you don’t want to cook, just heat it up.

Hit the sauce with salt, pepper and parsley. Drain pasta and add it to the pan. Cook in the pan until desired doneness is reached. Grab a napkin and dig in.

If I'm going to make this dish, I'll use fresh tuna. Olive oil packed yellow fin is what I use for tuna salad. I just don't like tuna in water.

This looks tasty and quick. ;)

Going to give it a try on one of those evenings when a can of tuna sounds like a winner. :yum:

I can also see where it can be tweaked to fit ingredients on hand.

Thanks for posting this. Never too many tuna recipes. :rolleyes:

Canned tuna is one of my staple "cupboard meals"....along with dried pasta and frozen peas. I could add other ingredients, e.g. canned tomatoes but I just find it detracts from the taste of the tuna. Occasionally I will add some mayonnaise!

tunapasta.jpg

2oz Spaghetti or Linguini you can use another kind if that’s all you have
1 Can Italian Tuna in Olive Oil Mostly Drained
½ Pint Grape/Cherry Tomatoes Cut in Half
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Italian Parsley
1 Teaspoon Garlic
½ Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
⅛ Teaspoon Fermented Habanero Pepper or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1 minced chile , adjust to the level of heat you want

Drain the olive oil and add chop it slightly in the can. Add the Worcestershire sauce over top and marinate for a few minutes. Get the pasta water started while you make the sauce. By the time the pasta is done, so will the sauce. Always cook pasta 1 minute under so you can finish cooking in the sauce. Add olive oil to the pan and lightly cook garlic until fragrant. Add tomatoes to the pan cook for a minute.

Stir that around, and when the pasta has 2 minutes remaining add the tuna. Bust up the tuna a bit, you don’t want to cook, just heat it up.

Hit the sauce with salt, pepper and parsley. Drain pasta and add it to the pan. Cook in the pan until desired doneness is reached. Grab a napkin and dig in.

I've heard alot about Canned Tuna in Olive oil from Italy and have wanted to try it. I Googled the tuna from Italy and the price is anywhere from $5-9 per can. With 2 ounces of pasta, this means that this recipe should feed only one person. WOW!

Awww come on K-girl.

Just add a side or 2 or maybe a bit more pasta and you'll share your tuna now won't ya??? ;)

Oh I'll be happy to wine and dine ya. :LOL:

Just be prepared for the Mc. D's dollar menu and Boons Farm. ;)

I hear ya on the too rich for my blood and a less expensive can of tuna is the way I'd go myself.

I've made this with fresh tuna, and it didn't come out as good. I usually add capers but forgot. The tuna I buy is like 2.50 a can. Cento or pastene. I did write more on the subject, didn't put up the entire post. That really expensive Italian tuna is ok but I like the mid level best.

The recipe calls for Italian tuna in olive oil.

Sounds really good, Reed. Thanks :)

He realizes that it called for oil packed tuna. I won't eat canned tuna, can barely even stand the smell of it when opened and that's why he makes tuna salad when I'm not home for the most part. Therefore, fresh if I'm eating too.

Last edited:
I've heard alot about Canned Tuna in Olive oil from Italy and have wanted to try it. I Googled the tuna from Italy and the price is anywhere from $5-9 per can. With 2 ounces of pasta, this means that this recipe should feed only one person. WOW!

Don't know if you have Publix where you live but they have the Genova on BOGO thru today, $7.29 for two 4-packs. Even at $7.29 for one 4-pack that's less than $2 a can. We also found it at Costco previously and Craig liked it, though they didn't have it last time we were there or we overlooked it.

Hi Mary and Welcome to DC. From a fellow Ontarian, ex-Quebecer.

Thanks for reviving this thread. Just read it thru and sounds rather good.

I will only get Tuna in Oil. There is absolutely no taste to the water packed stuff, IMHO.

For a while you could not even get the oil pack, then they brought it back at a horrendous price, but now I'm finding it at much more reasonable prices and more choices. Still more but not crippling!

And Medtran?... I've always told my friends - 'if you serve me tuna - it had better be out'a can!' :LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom