"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
Head Chef

When I first got married, I was in school full time ( didnt work) and my wife had a $6 an hour job. So needless to say, the cash wasnt flowing in and we were on a tight budget. Our limit per meal was $3. This forced us to be very creative. At least 3 times a week we had spaghetti. Other meals included pierogi, soups ( pea, vegetable, onion, mushroom barley...). Once a week we would even get one of those lipton rice packets ( the broccoli and cheddar cheese) and we would chop up a fresh broccoli and add it in to give it a fresh, homemade feel).

One of our best finds for inexpensive meals was this local produce store. It was kinda hidden in a rural area. We would buy literally crates of vegetables and fruit for about $10 in total, and Id spend all day Sunday cooking pots of things that I could freeze for the rest of the week to eat ( sauces, soups). It was probably this time in my life where i got the joy and ability to cook, because I had no other choice than to cook my own stuff, and be creative to keep the budget under $3 a meal.

The kitchen was no palace either. If you stood in the center of the kitchen and stretched out your arms, u could literaly touch all 4 walls. Just enough room for the stove, sink and fridge. But many good, memorable meals came out of that kitchen.

I used to get upset that my brother has the bigger, better , fancier kitchen, yet all they eat is frozen prepared food. And here I am, cooking homemade meals every day, watch the food channel, belong to cooking forums, cooking magazines, go to food and wine shows, expos... and my kitchen is quite inferior to his. But , the good thing is, that I know the better , more creative food comes out of my kitchen.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Celini Send a message via Yahoo to Celini
I am glad you said that. I have a friend that has a great big kitchen, he lives on his own and lives on M&S ready meeals, fish and chips, chinese takaways. cuz it is easy. Needless to say he is overweight and has a bad heart.

My kitchen might be small but my creativety is huge, and you make do with the means avaleble and make what you can out of bad situations.

When my friend comes to visit I try and teach him how to cook, goes in in one ear and out the other. .

I have made 3-4 course meals for 5 people in this kitchen and it has been very good according to hubby.

Cheers from CC and Mo hubby and Blaze the first food testing Springer spaniel
Celini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Celini Send a message via Yahoo to Celini
hi, today I mad a brekfast of, ready break, very cheap and nice to eat with some home madepear and pinapple jam that hubby made the other day from pears he got cheap down the super market and some tinnes pinapple.

For lunch I made super noodles that I buy in bulk every 4 weeks when we get out DLA, fresh cabbage from the garden and some cold peppered ham.

For dinner I am making a pasta sauce, we don't have any pastaso I am having some rice with mine and and hubby that don't like rice will have mash. Total cost for todays food 4

pasta sauce
500g of minced beef
500g of mushrooms
2 carrots
4 onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 bayleaf
3 tins of chopped tomatoes
water
salt
pepper
chillipowder according to taste

if you have a slow cooker brown beef and then add all the rest of the inredients in to it and let it sommer for 5-6 hours.

if not simmer on hob for about 2-3 hours

Cheers from CC and Mo hubby and Blaze the first food testing Springer spaniel
Celini is offline   Reply With Quote