"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cheap Christmas Dinner

So with seasonal workers getting laid off and Christmas straining some people more than others I thought about asking for ideas.
My thoughts are simple ingredients done well

Letís say family Christmas for 12 people what is the thriftiest dinner you can plan to host?

I found turkey on sale $0.80/lbsish so I got $10 bird. So lots of meat to go around.

I have flour in my pantry so homemade gravy comes from stock if I add a bit extra water to the roast. As well homemade buns Mere cents.

We have squash $1/ea. 1 acorn 1 butternut so $2

Store had a sale on 10 lb bags of beets, onions, potatoes. $2.50/bag.
So roast beets and onions and baked potatoes since I can fit everything in one oven. Half of each bag is $3.50.

Coleslaw for salad cabbage $1.50/head

Pie pumpkins same price as squash $1/ea.
Apples a basket $3

Skip buying pie sheíll make pumpkin cookies and an apple crisp I have a bit of oatmeal etc in pantry.

So I feed 12 people easily for around $21. Thatís about $1.75/person.

Ps we donít usually do a soup starter but if I did itíd be a turkey soup or French onion to hold cost fairly close. Less than $2/person.

So tell me what you could do to give people help and classy ideas on a tight budget.

Kevin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef

That menu is fabulous and frugal and it would be SO good.
Add some stale or toasted bread and make stuffing or dressing, make extra gravy to put over it.
A bag of cranberries with sugar for some cranberry sauce.
Everyone will be so full and satisfied, they'll never realize how frugally you managed it.

That menu is probably the thriftiest you'll ever make, unless you hit a deer and have no car damage, process the venison, and then make a venison roast, not everyone's cup of tea.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

A pasta dish comes to mind. You can feed a lot of people on not much money.

It can be with or without a meat and veggies, and with or without cheese. Depends on the budget.

For dessert, crepes with a bit of butter and sugar, or some preserves is also inexpensive for a lot.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
A pasta dish comes to mind. You can feed a lot of people on not much money.

It can be with or without a meat and veggies, and with or without cheese. Depends on the budget.

For dessert, crepes with a bit of butter and sugar, or some preserves is also inexpensive for a lot.
buckytom! It must have cheese! Cheese cheese and more cheese. Pasta with cheese is meant to be together.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Lol, well then, cheese please.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:17 AM   #6
Master Chef

Kevin, I'm on the same page with you and your ideas.

I bought a small 1/2 ham for seventy-nine cents a pound. It will provide dinner, plenty of leftovers and a pot of soup.

Another inexpensive vegetable is carrots. Simmer some carrot coins until tender, drain, season, add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of maple syrup, toss to coat the carrots and serve.

Make some inexpensive cut out cookies and let the kids gather around the table to decorate them.

Another inexpensive way to spend Christmas would be a brunch with plenty of eggs, home fries, ham, skiers toast with maple syrup, etc...

Skiers French Toast Recipe - Genius Kitchen

A big pot of chili or American chop suey, coleslaw, a pan of cornbread or a loaf garlic bread would be good after some outdoor fun.

Consider a pot luck with family and friends.

Good luck and have a great Christmas!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #7
Senior Cook

We’ve done lasagna for Christmas dinner at my mother in laws for years cause it was the kids favourite and a break from all the turkey dinners. She makes 1 seafood and 1 regular lasagna and a Caesar salad
Old 12-12-2017, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Never thought of doing chilli for Christmas dinner but if you had a big day of outdoor fun with the family and came in to simmering chilli or a hearty soup everyone would dig in I’m sure. Mmm with homemade garlic and herb biscuits
Old 12-12-2017, 05:40 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Simmering veg is also a good way to do it. We’ve just been on a roast vegis kick lately and I put everything in one over no stove top fussing. I’ve really grown to like oven cooking against stove cooking sometimes
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86 View Post
Never thought of doing chilli for Christmas dinner but if you had a big day of outdoor fun with the family and came in to simmering chilli or a hearty soup everyone would dig in I’m sure. Mmm with homemade garlic and herb biscuits
Another thought for a big day of outdoor fun is to fire up the grill and fix hot dogs with all the trimmings.

Hot dogs seem to taste better when your feet are numb and you are wearing mittens!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, christmas, dinner