Cheap meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easy + Cheap= Great :D

Name:Przenice(not sure where it comes from but well nvm it )
Needed for about 5 peaces:
3 eggs
Oil
Bread (recomanded older bread)
Optional:
Cheese
or
What ever you put on your bread in the morning.

How to prepare:
We take the eggs and mix them together in a plastic bowl or a simple plate will do it just mix them with a fork use a mixer what ever you like it takes you 2-4 min.
In the mean while you mix let the put the oil into a frying pan and let it get hot. Put the bread cut in peaces (like you cut it for an ordinary meal) in the eggs that you mixed. Let the bread take some of that liquid on it and look that its all covered with eggs(I mean the bread, not the walls, not the whole kitchen :P)
Afther that just add the bread in the fraying pen and let it be there for like 10 min (5 for one side 5 for the other side you should decide the time since we can not predict when it will be ready(golden/brown is the color of a ready meal)) . When they are finished you can eat it with cheese( thats my favorite :D ) or with what ever you like on your morning bread(you know mragarine and so on)
Also i like to let it get cold and to put some tissues so the oil will get out of the bread (I hate to much oil in my food it doesnet taste so good for me at least )
And thats it I hope it you like it :D

My answer is soup ! soup! and more soup! It has been shown scientifically that soup stays in your stomach longer-so causing you to feel satisfied longer. ;)

I totally agree with the idea of soup! There are so very many soups that can be made. The list is endless, and soup can be delicious and one can use seasonal items to help save costs.

I make a good soup using frozen soup veggies, a handful of shredded cabbage leaves, a handful of barley, an extra potato (peeled and cubed), and, if making it so it has no meat, a large bottle of V-8. A can of tomatoes is optional. Throw it together, salt and pepper to taste and cook until done.

~Kathleen

There is this *don't let this fool ya* tuna casserole that I turned into a veggie casserole -

I don't remember the amounts but I use no-yoke pasta (cook it) - mix it with sour cream, mustard (just a bit), mayonnaise, thyme, celery & green onions with a pinch of salt.

Layer some of the bottom of a casserole dish, then put a layer of zucchini followed by a layer of squash (or visa versa) then layer of the noddle mixture then zucchini & squash and the rest of the noddles.

Top with Monterey Jack cheese.

Oven 350
30min

top with fresh chopped tomatoes.

This casserole has been good no matter how I changed it so it can fit your budget and it makes a ton.

doctored up good pasta spaghetti sauce ( I added a bit more sauteed onion, garlic. 1/4 red wine, fresh parsely, and mushrooms and cook into the pasta sauce for about 15 minutes)....near the end I add 1/2 teaspoon or so of Italian seasoning and maybe some garlic powder and cook for an additonal 10 minutes.....for my family I always have to add some sugar........I will also add a can of clams as well at the beginning

1/4 cup red wine is what I meant-----you do need to taste and add as you go along with this recipe.....we like spice so I tend to add tabasco as well but this might not suit all palates

even cheaper is to take an Asian noodle soup mix, add some frozen veggies, garic/onion powder, bean sprouts and or shredded cabbage, let it cook the 2 minutes and then stir in an egg that's been scrambled by a fork to thicken it up.....so good.........f you have some leftover pork, shrimp, or chicken add that at the end, too.....so good, easy, nutritious, and cheap....

1. Baked potatoes covered with veggie chili
2. Goldenrod eggs on toast or baked potatoes. (basically hard cooked eggs, diced into a white sauce with yolks grated on top. Add a little cayenne or curry powder to pop up flavor.
3. Weekend splurge: Cheese souffle with something green on the side and bread. Souffles are festive, yummy and if you can find inexpensive cheddar, they are pretty cheap to make.

I like vegetarian soups, there is no end to how many you can make, not all of them freeze well, but a lot do. And good soup with a slice of bread is agood meal in my book.

I work with a girl who is vegeterian and she subs a lot of recipes that call for meats with rice of different flavors. Her fav is Jasmine rice and she uses that to make tacos and burritos as well as different soups and stir fry. Good luck!

also meals that can be used different ways so you can make in bulk, and take advantage of left overs.

eggplant parmesan
with the leftovers, toss on a hero bread, now u got an eggplant parmesan hero
with more leftovers, toss on top of some ziti with sauce and bake with cheese.
you can even mash the eggplant parmesan with some grated cheese, then stuff them into pasta shells = eggplant stuffed shells

so eggplant parmesan may not be the cheapest meal, but if made in bulk, can be used in different ways, over the course of a week or be frozen if necessary.

soups ( pea, lentil, black bean) are just about as cheap and easy as they get. just serve with some bread and maybe some kind of rice pilaf.

veggie burger variations.
pizza burger ( sauce and cheese)
guacamole veggie burger ( guacamole + onions + tomatos )
mushroom onion veggie burger ( fried shrooms and onions )

Cheap meals..

boiled cabbage dinners.. season with ham or sausage, corned beef etc. Toss in a few potatoes..

grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..
grilled cheese with soup
hamburger gravy on toast
chipped beef gravy on toast.
fried potatoes, onions -- I can make a meal of that. for an option stir in some diced ham and when its about done scramble a couple of eggs in with it... yummy

buy roasts of any type or ham when its on sale. Roast them, slice and portion out. Freeze the portions, use as you desire. A lot of meat for little money.

Cheap meals..

boiled cabbage dinners.. season with ham or sausage, corned beef etc. Toss in a few potatoes..

grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..
grilled cheese with soup
hamburger gravy on toast
chipped beef gravy on toast.
fried potatoes, onions -- I can make a meal of that. for an option stir in some diced ham and when its about done scramble a couple of eggs in with it... yummy

buy roasts of any type or ham when its on sale. Roast them, slice and portion out. Freeze the portions, use as you desire. A lot of meat for little money.

That sounds a good and affordable meal! :chef:

I can go all day with vegetable salad or mashed potato... :D

Kitchenangel, your dish sounds so good and welcome to DC. I love tofu, but rarely make it because I lack the experience of working with it enough to know what to serve with it. I can imagine fresh fruit, rice, or stir fried veggies, but would want a sure-fire hit. What do you make to go along with your tofu?

~Kathleen

Ham and pea soup

Buy a cheap hock joint as butchers sell them cheap. Soak overnight to rid much of the saltpetre, rinse and make stock with. Adding a couple of bay leaves, an onion or two studded with about 4 cloves each, bring to the boil, skim and simmer until the broth is fragrant and reduced by nearly half. Open 2 cans mushy peas, add to the ham stock and there you will have a cheap, nutritious meal for very little cash outlay. Do not adjust seasoning til the end. The soup will probably not need any salt at all, but freshly ground black pepper is perfect.

Substitute the peas for lentils. Again, very cheap and tasty.

I recently found a 10 lb bag of chicken leg quarters for $4.70! I cooked up 4 in a saute pan with (homeade) bbq sauce, then cooked the rest of the quarters in a crockpot. Then I made chicken and dumplings with some more of them, and then chicken enchiladas with the rest. That's quite a few meals from < $5 worth of chicken! Especially considering that each meal had leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom