Chili potatoes (split)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
My mom always served chili with mashed potatoes - it's quite good, even now!

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom always served chili with mashed potatoes - it's quite good, even now!

my Grandfather used to serve chili that way; he said his Mother used to, too. i loved his mashed taters & chili.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't made it lately but now I think I will. Good point about the potato.

I love chili on top of fried potatoes, breakfast style (shredded). It's also great with a thick japanese-style curry, or, even better, BULGOGI. Beef Bulgogi on shredded potatoes with something acidic on the side (Kimchi, Tsukemono) is the BEST THING EVER.

EDIT: I get really good quality ribeye Bulgogi pre-marinated at my local Korean market for like $4.25/lb. This is what I make in huge batches when I have houseguests, and it gets rave reviews from hungover people at 11am on a Sunday morning.

I don't remember chili and mashed - but I remember Mom splitting open a baked 'tater - added chili, diced onion, grated cheddar - run back under the broiler until the cheese melted. Sometimes, if the potatoes were small, she would add a can of pinto beans to the chili.

Mom could do a lot with a baked potato .... I'll have to see if I can remember some of the other things she did ...

We had it over home fires, topped with cheese and sliced green onions
kades

Chili on a bun was standard fare as a kid.
I like my hot chili with french fries.
Cold leftover chili on whole wheat sliced bread with mustard.

I make my chili with potatoes, at least my grandmothers' version of chili. It was her depression era chili. Fry up 1-1/2 lb. ground meat with a chopped onion. Drain. Add 2 cans tomato soup and 2 cans water. Add chilli powder and paprika to taste. Add 2 medium potatoes diced (not too small). Cook for about 30-45 minutes to thicken some and cook the potatoes. Add kidney beans and simmer for about 15 more minutes. This is my kind of comfort food! I never knew no one else didn't put potatoes in their chili for the longest time. We used to call it Polish Chili. I do make regular chili now but when I want comfort food this is what I make.

Barb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom