"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Chinese buffet

lovely sunny day here for once so i'm heading into manchester city centre to meet up with my son,ben & his mum,julie(we are still great friends after 16 years apart...no, not ben..i'm just his cheque book....julie!)
we are going to get a late lunch then go to the imax(a screen the size of an 8 storey building a sound system more powerful than 2000 home stereos!) to see the cabin in the woods...like my films scarey!
we'll probably go into chinatown to the chinese buffet(original name eh?!)
it's big,it's below street level & 50% of the diners are chinese,always a good sign in a restaurant(unless you're in an italian that is!!)
for the equivalent of $15(yep major city centre $15!) you can eat as much as you like from a huge range of dishes from soups & starters thru' mains to desserts.in addition to the usual suspects they also have steamed mussels,real(not surimi)crab claws in black bean,chargrilled squid etc.the other great thing is that because it's so busy there's a constant replenishing of the dishes so nothing goes cold/stale.
what & where is your fav "chow down" place,what does it do & how much is it?
harry

Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Head Chef

I love chinese buffets, can go with a group and there is something there for everyone. They even have items for the non chinese food eaters. It is also good for a person who has chinese to introduce them to it and they can try all different things. Hmm sounds good for lunch today.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I love chinese buffets, can go with a group and there is something there for everyone. They even have items for the non chinese food eaters. It is also good for a person who has chinese to introduce them to it and they can try all different things. Hmm sounds good for lunch today.
go for it!!
harry
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Chinese buffets are great, but I hate when the items aren't named! The little name cards are blank, as if they assume I should know what it is in front of me. A big peeve that's kept me from them for quite some time
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ours run around $7 pp, they have some good and not so good stuff, all you can eat. Great hot and sour soup, salad bar, deep fried stuff, plus the usual. The sushi is beautiful but has little flavor. Apparently, all the Chinese buffets in our town and the surrounding areas use the same distributer and feature the same dishes, cooked by the same folks! No matter, overall it's pretty tasty and a good bang for the buck.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

The last couple of Chinese buffets I've gone to were pretty bad. We do have a Mongolian Barbecue place I really enjoy. When on the road if I find an Indian buffet I always partake, finding the cuisine takes well to it. I used to love Sunday brunch buffets, but haven't been to a really good one in years, heck well over a decade. Oh, and I like pizza buffets. All that said, I'm really not much of a buffet person. I like to be waited on when I got out, and don't care to stand in line for food. But they're great when with a group with fussy eaters in your group, or children, and they do tend to be priced well.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We go to a local place called Jade Palace. They have a "No MSG" table, and enough dishes with no soy to keep me happy. The food is pretty good. All the staff are Chinese and they know us and treat us well.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
Executive Chef

sorrow!

i was in manchester last week & both the chinese buffet that i started this thread with & my other fav buffet-yum yum's have closed down...i guess this recession continues to take it's toll....a moments silence please.right,enough of that,we ended up in another fav of mine...nando's.love it.mines an extra extra hot half chicken,peri peri fries,corn cob & olives.pasteis de nata.who else likes nando's & what do you order?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Let me google that for you
Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by didiod View Post
thanks di,buffet city looks a winner!

Tags
chinese