"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Okay, because I actually pay attention and read your responses, now I know what type of chorizo we are discussing. Now I want to know, do you want recipes for making your own chorizo, or recipes that use store bought chorizo? I have both types of recipes.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Giving away one of my catering secrets, but since I am not doing it any more it is okay.

I combined raw chorizo chopped or ground with chopped strawberries, fresh tarragon, salt and pepper and used this mixture to stuff pork loin. Tie it tightly and roast as you normally would. Slice it a bit thicker than normal.

The sweet acid from the fruit and heat from the sausage seem a strange combo, but it really works!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
The sausage type that has to be cooked.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Huevos Rancheros, as taught to me by a Mexican friend is San Diego.

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
3 tbs. milk
A leetle salt (his words)
A leetle pepper (again his words)
1 chorizo sausage in casing.

Beat the egg, milk, and s&p. Heat a good frying pan with a bit of butter. When teh butter is hot, Cut the end off of the sausage and squeeze about 2 tbs. of the chorizo into the pan. Stir fry it for about a minute. Add the eggs and begin slowly stirring to make fluffy scrambled eggs. Simply fold the outside edges toward the center, giving a few seconds for the egg to set a little. Then flip the eggs to make sure the top is cooked as you like them. You can also add peppers, and onion to this dish. Maybe top it with some Queso Blanco cheese.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Okay, because I actually pay attention and read your responses, now I know what type of chorizo we are discussing. Now I want to know, do you want recipes for making your own chorizo, or recipes that use store bought chorizo? I have both types of recipes.
Sorry I haven't responded before now, but I haven't been on this site in awhile as I've gotten a new job that takes up most of my time. I'm looking for recipes for store bought chorizo.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Huevos Rancheros, as taught to me by a Mexican friend is San Diego.

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
3 tbs. milk
A leetle salt (his words)
A leetle pepper (again his words)
1 chorizo sausage in casing.

Beat the egg, milk, and s&p. Heat a good frying pan with a bit of butter. When teh butter is hot, Cut the end off of the sausage and squeeze about 2 tbs. of the chorizo into the pan. Stir fry it for about a minute. Add the eggs and begin slowly stirring to make fluffy scrambled eggs. Simply fold the outside edges toward the center, giving a few seconds for the egg to set a little. Then flip the eggs to make sure the top is cooked as you like them. You can also add peppers, and onion to this dish. Maybe top it with some Queso Blanco cheese.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks Chief of Longwind of the North that sounds DELICIOUS!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Are you thinking along the lines of Mexican chorizo which can be used as a bulk sausage or stuffed in casings? It is considered a fresh sausage. Spanish chorizo is generally a cured, dried sausage.
I'm talking about Mexican Chorizo
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
I'm talking about Mexican Chorizo
We usually make the chorizo, but you can use store bought bulk or remove the casings from stuffed. This is a very simple, but great way to enjoy the sausage.

Using bulk sausage (about a pound), fry it in an oven safe skillet until browned. Remove from heat and drain off the fat. Spread the sausage in an even layer in the skillet. Cover sausage with grated muenster cheese and place under preheated broiler until the cheese melts and just starts to brown. Serve immediately, using torn pieces of your preferred type of tortilla to pinch off pieces of cheese and sausage. You can also use tortilla chips to dip. We got this from a very old Disney cookbook. That was before I realized the tremendous grip Disney had on my wallet! Almost needed therapy to break it.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
Head Chef

Question

Since I can't easily get the casings, I guess the chorizo mixture would also work formed into a burger? Maybe it depends on the liquid factor, e.g. the
red wine?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I've eaten it and its awesome. Y'all made me hungry for sausage now. :)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun man View Post
I've eaten it and its awesome. Y'all made me hungry for sausage now. :)
Me too. Might have to pull out a few sticks of homemade andouille.

Tags
recipe