"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 11-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #11
Master Chef

LOL - Dove - the reference to 1955-1970 was to the years that I had eaten creamed chipped beef on toast on military bases - either where Dad had been stationed or where later on I was stationed. In 1955 I was only 8-years old!

Yes, I had the honor to train and serve on the Lex commisioned in 1943 (CV-16). The Lex you are talking about was her predecessor designated CV-2. When I was on her, she was designated CVS-16 and assigned to the Atlantic Fleet as a training ship.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #12
Head Chef

Interesting military history and thank you Michael for your service. As a Regular Army volunteer in 1962 I was sent to the Third Armored Cavalry in Germany for my tour of duty. My brain may be going but for the life of me I remember eating a lot of creamed beef made with hamburger. I surely think I did - actually I liked it. I hope I haven't slipped that much - could be! :) Anyway at home growing up the real deal chipped beef was a treat and in that my memory is very clear.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I make chipped beef once in awhile for dinner....put it over boiled, fork mashed potatoes, oh....now I am making myself hungry!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Interesting military history and thank you Michael for your service. As a Regular Army volunteer in 1962 I was sent to the Third Armored Cavalry in Germany for my tour of duty. My brain may be going but for the life of me I remember eating a lot of creamed beef made with hamburger. I surely think I did - actually I liked it. I hope I haven't slipped that much - could be! :) Anyway at home growing up the real deal chipped beef was a treat and in that my memory is very clear.
My recollection was that the meat actually looked like small chips. However below is a somewhat recent (pre 9/11/01) version of Uncle Sam's recipe:

Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #15
Head Chef

I haven't chip beef in years -- I use to love when i was a kid. now I am going to have to make it.

It makes me think of another one my mom would make.
white sauce, can tuna, peas and hard boiled eggs cut in half (like for deviled eggs)
take a biscuit place 2 halfs on it and spoon over the white/tuna/peas. Use to love that one also.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

"Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast" - another "blast from the past".

Way back when I was a little sprout, my dad used to get paid once a month, & we always knew when the end of the pay period was approaching because instead of steak & roasts we were eating "Chipped Beef On Toast" among other budget dishes. Personally, I loved mom's cooking (unless she was making liver - lol!), regardless of what it was. Both she & my dad were/are terrific cooks, & I thank them profusely for bringing me up trying new things. Can't even begin to say how sorry I feel for those folks brought up so limited foodwise that they're too frightened to eat anything new unless it's coated in ketchup - lol!!
Old 11-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I just made SOS the other night. I don't care for it, but hubby and kids love it.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
Cook

I just bought a couple jars of dried beef when I did my last shopping run.

My fond memories of SOS are around a campfire over boiled spuds. This was one of the standard meals for our camping trips. Mom always boiled a whole bag of spuds before we left for our camping trip. We had them fried for breakfast and diced up for dinner with something dumped over them.

At home we made it with real milk but on camping trips it was either canned milk, powdered milk or Cream of Mushroom Soup. It is also great over leftover biscuits.

Guess what we will be having for dinner.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Only probemo is that it's more than a bit high in the sodium department.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
DC Grandma

I use to fix SOS for Paul. We liked the hamburger better. Even if the C.Beef was rinsed it was too salty.
and yes. the military did use hamburger also.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote