Croquettes - another "fins in tins" idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
These can run less than $3.00 USD to make depending on the fish you use.

Fish Croquettes

1 15-oz can Salmon or Mackerel, or 2 cans tuna - drained
1 cup cracker crumbs or toasted bread crumbs (buttered is better)
1 med onion small diced or grated
1 egg - beaten

Removed the bones from the salmon/mackerel (if you wish) and beak the pieces up a good bit. Combine all ingredients and form into patties. Pan fry (your choice of butter or oil) until golden and crispy on both sides.

White Sauce

3 Tablespoons Butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Salt and Ground Black pepper to taste

Make a roux of the butter and flour over med-low heat and cook for a minute (you don't want the flour to brown) ... whisk in the milk, add the S&P, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add more milk to adjust thickness if necessary.

Serve the sauce over the croquettes.

Some OPTIONS:

Herbs can be added to the croquetts or the sauce.
You can substitute cayenne pepper for black pepper in the sauce.
Other sauce options: mayo with lemon and/or herbs and/or horseradish, etc.

I add a little Miracle whip and a squirt of lemon juice to the fish mix, and let them chill a little before frying them up so they'll hold together better.
I'm sure the white sauce is great, but I'm fond of catsup on them.

Michael, I always keep canned salmon in the pantry, and cook it as you do. It's one of those dishes I fall back on when nothing else seems right for the moment. Thanks for reminding me.

thanks michael, this looks good. it's going into my "try someday" file.

my mom makes hers just like yours, using buttery crackers and canned salmon. she also adds a little finely chopped green bell pepper. they're as good as any crab cake that i've ever eaten, maybe better (well, it is my mom. :))

hmm, with family in mind this is giving me an idea. every year, it gets more and more difficult to give them gifts for the holidays. there's only so much stuff you can have, but food is always appreciated and consumed. i'm thinking of making and freezing these, to give as part of a gift basket.

:chef:

This is an amazingly simple quicky croquette recipe!! I love croquettes but I do less often than I would like to because they usually require some labours and patience to make. This is a really fresh idea must be tried!! Thanks Michael:chef:

Michael, this dish brings back warm fuzzy comfort-food memories. Growing up in NYC, used to go to HOJoe's (Howard Johnsons') in Times Square, & order the chicken (or was it turkey?) croquettes, & a side of mac & cheese. (Another fave was their Tendersweet fried clams & onion rings :)) In later years the place was bought out? by Beverly Garland (in California), & you could buy them frozen - to go :() Good to see the recipe to make at home. Thanks for the memories. Have to make some salmon croquettes real soon. :cool:

Oh Goodness - "HoJo's"!! What a blast from the past!!

Way back when, they were literally the only restaurant (except for stray independent diners) that served breakfast, & we always stopped at one on our way out to the east end of Long Island for some early morning crabbing.

And those were "chicken" croquettes you're thinking of Amy, & they were delicious; although I also loved the "Tendersweet" clams & the "something" Newburg (don't remember if it was shrimp or crab).

And who could forget their famous "all you can eat" nights? There was "Fried Flounder" night, "Fried Chicken" night, & (saints preserve us) "Liver & Onion" night.:LOL:

Oh Goodness - "HoJo's"!! What a blast from the past!!

Way back when, they were literally the only restaurant (except for stray independent diners) that served breakfast, & we always stopped at one on our way out to the east end of Long Island for some early morning crabbing.

And those were "chicken" croquettes you're thinking of Amy, & they were delicious; although I also loved the "Tendersweet" clams & the "something" Newburg (don't remember if it was shrimp or crab).

And who could forget their famous "all you can eat" nights? There was "Fried Flounder" night, "Fried Chicken" night, & (saints preserve us) "Liver & Onion" night.:LOL:

Now we're talking some seriously good retro food, Breezy. Friday was All you can eat Fish - fried clams, etc etc. Those tendersweet clams, as I recall, were served on a crusty roll. The meal wasn't complete w/o a hot fudge sundae w whipped cream & a cherry on top. The restaurant in NYC, had a bizillion flavors of ice cream. Their Thanksgiving open-faced turkey sandwich was piled with stuffing, gravy & cranberry sauce.

When actress Beverly Garland took over HOJOs, there was a salad bar, night club/bar, hotel & pool. The food was still pretty good, but the service was lousy.

Sorry, Michael - took a trip down food memory lane. LOL

Yes - same for the breakfasts. Instead of individual breakfasts (which always arrived looking EXACTLY like they did on the plastic menu - lol!!), they installed "breakfast buffet bars". It wasn't the same.

Back
Top Bottom