"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 12-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Day Old Produce

Anybody else pick through the old produce? If texture is not paramount in your soups and stews, this is an inexpensive way to build your stash.

I find lots of things I am not going to use right away and stash them n the freezer. They make wonderful additions to soups and stews.

I buy:
spotty mushrooms (cream of mushroom soup)
peppers (mild and hot)
tomatoes (made a 4 B's tomato soup with these)
summer squash (zucchini and yellow)
garlic
celery
carrots
onions
broccoli
cauliflower

Old 12-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Day Old Produce

Indeed! The discounts are significant. My usuals are mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I showed my parents how to cook with the produce and now I have to beat them to the day old. I can't believe these two thrifty people would only buy pristine vegetables. I also had to show them how to make veggie stock with the trimmings.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh yeah. Kroger has a bin with less-than-perfect veggies for 99 cents for a bag of three or four (sometimes more) items. I've gotten bell peppers, hot peppers, red onions, etc. I roast and freeze the colored bell peppers if I can't use them fast enough.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

My first stop, I'm always on the lookout for some dilapidated mushrooms or a tired old eggplant!

I chuckle when people turn up their noses at day old food in the market. The people that insist on buying the freshest and often most expensive items only to take them home and let them deteriorate for several days in the refrigerator before they use them or eventually throw them out.

My personal dilemma has always been should I buy those day old items or leave them for someone on a more limited budget than my own. Over the years I've watched people shop and decided that the people who could benefit from these bargains the most tend to pass them by. Now I go ahead and select the items that I can use without any qualms or pangs of guilt.

I find that the plastic wrap on most vegetables is harmful so I unwrap them and store them loose in the refrigerator. With greens I often trim the stems and stand them in a bowl of water to give them a new lease on life.

Another thought on this. During my working years I used to snag the leftover crudité platters that have become a mandatory addition to the lunches served at office meetings. If you add a few onions, some seasonings and a little olive oil they make a nice tray of roasted vegetables.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Interesting, our market doesn't have a day d produce bin.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Day Old Produce

You do have to be quick. I turned my back on the discounted broccoli for 30 seconds, and some guy snapped up the whole lot. He did leave me one tiny crown.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
Master Chef

No day old produce bin at either of our supermarkets here, either.

Once in a while the farm stand will have discounted prices for blemished or older produce, but I've never seen it in the grocery store here.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Day Old Produce

Only one of our grocery stores does that here. The same store also has 10% senior discounts on Wednesdays. Win-win, if DH can beat the other old guys there!
Old 12-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
Master Chef

Our grocery stores don't have the bins either. However, our dollar store has an abundance of produce that I buy often. Much of it looks pristine to me, and the price is sure right. Sometimes it's hard to find a parking spot, as so many people are there just buying produce.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote