"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

aww she is adorable!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

I watched this woman on the news a few weeks ago! She is SO CUTE!

Apparently her grandson started to tape her when she was cooking, and put it on youtube. They got so many hits they became recognized.

Oh youtube...

Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #23
Senior Cook

What a charming lady, and what a great project, to capture this piece of history. :)

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #24
Sous Chef

That was wonderful.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #25
Master Chef

My parents were both born in the 30s (Dad in 1930, Mom in 1934). One thing Mom used to make us from "olden days" was what she called "poor man's soup". It was a mish-mash of what we called hamburger in my youth, a very little bit, and root vegetables. Then it was poured over a slice of bread that was slathered with peanut butter! I guess it was cheap in the 30s!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to marcmanaois
i thought she doesnt have a chopping board coz she was cutting onions and potatoes on her palm. Then hotdog came!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

I just watched the video and it brought tears in my eyes. I didn't know that they even had hot dogs back then.
It brought back memories of my own grandma when I was a kid in the 60's. My favorite was the ring bologna we had. Simple cooking is what it was and just plain good eatin.
I wish I would have paid more attention to her cooking as I was growing up. I miss her so..............
Old 08-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #28
Executive Chef

It's awesome that the younger generation is learning the recipes and history of the older. I know lots of people who wish they had mom's or gran's recipe for "whatever". That is so sad.

One of my fave depression era recipes is Salmon loaf (canned salmon, breadcrumbs, herbs, egg) mold and steam or make patties and fry. To this day it is delish!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
It's awesome that the younger generation is learning the recipes and history of the older. I know lots of people who wish they had mom's or gran's recipe for "whatever". That is so sad.

One of my fave depression era recipes is Salmon loaf (canned salmon, breadcrumbs, herbs, egg) mold and steam or make patties and fry. To this day it is delish!

we had this when i was growing up on a weekly basis. still love the patties today, nice with tarter sauce. make em once in a while, still not an expense for a meal.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #30
Master Chef

"Salmon Loaf" was one of my favorite meals growing up - & it continues to be so! Economical, healthy, & versatile. Mom added sliced pimento-stuffed green olives to hers, as do I.

What's lovely about it is that it can be served hot with a drizzle of Hollandaise sauce on top, or tartare sauce or salsa verde on the side; or cold with tartare sauce, salsa verde, or a garlic/herb mayonnaise on the side (this makes an excellent supper for a hot summer evening).

Leftovers even make nice sandwiches a la "meatloaf sandwiches", or can be broken up & mixed with a little mayo to make a salmon salad.