"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

I believe that is $3 per person, and I think different states handle it in different ways.

So for a family family of four, that would be $360 a month. Let's see...I'd buy:
20 lb. bag of potatoes
3 lb. bag Spanish onions
big bag of rice
economy size pkgs noodles and spaghetti
a box of bacon ends and pieces
10 lb. flour
5 lb. bag cornmeal
5 lb. bag sugar
no-name canned vegetables
Ramen noodles
tuna
big bag chicken leg quarters

I'm not up on my prices, as DH does most of the shopping...what else do you think could go on the list?

Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

guys, you don't starve on them. my food is plentiful.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

The restrictions are what gets me. Only certain foods can be bought with the food stamps, that are now in a debit card form. I remember seeing people in line with all kinds of food and having to put things back because they weren't covered. Silly things like generic store band cereal was covered but Kellogg's wasn't. And the poor person with the stamps had a book they had to go through to get as close as possible without going over to pay for their food. I think the state of California was trying to humiliate people into not applying.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
The restrictions are what gets me. Only certain foods can be bought with the food stamps, that are now in a debit card form. I remember seeing people in line with all kinds of food and having to put things back because they weren't covered. Silly things like generic store band cereal was covered but Kellogg's wasn't. And the poor person with the stamps had a book they had to go through to get as close as possible without going over to pay for their food. I think the state of California was trying to humiliate people into not applying.

Im curious...was this a large chain store, or a smaller "mom & pop" place?

Babymaker
Old 10-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Callisto-Must be a state thing I know in NY you can buy any food product as long as it's not prepared foods. The one thing that bothered me was you could not get TP or hand soap. Two things that I think are needed.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Callisto-Must be a state thing I know in NY you can buy any food product as long as it's not prepared foods. The one thing that bothered me was you could not get TP or hand soap. Two things that I think are needed.
thats why I was asking mikki, here in Florida its the same, no prepared foods or paper products.......but there are some small stores here that will tell you that you cant buy certain food items, I think they are making thier own rules though!

Babymaker
Old 10-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
GK- I never ran into that, Of course I had them along time ago so things might have changed.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #18
Master Chef

here you cannot get prepared foods.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
There are two different kinds of foods stamps. One is just food, and the other you can buy anything (i.e. toilet paper). I don't know what makes you eligible for one or the other, but some people can get them. And at least in Utah you can't buy alcohol or cigarettes withe the food-only part.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
Executive Chef

When I was pregnant in California my fiance suddenly got layed off so once our dd was born things got very tight. I got onto WIC and was given a certain amount of vouchers for dairy, juice, formula, andvery few other Nutrtional items. They had to be certain brands and certain sizes. It was a pain to shop with them, (esp when you got to the checkout, you have to sign each coupon and the had to verify your signature...long process!) but they did help! One thing that frustrated me though was you had to pick from only certain brands and types of baby formulas and the stores NEVER had the kind I needed and qualified for, I had to switch weekly smetimes back and forth between soy and whole milk formulas which is not the best hing for your babies system! Also you had to get 2 gallons of milk per coupon of which I got about 3 coupns a month thats 6 gallons of milk (we didn't drink THAT much milk!) but I never had enough formula coupons at the end of the month. Like was said before, its not meant to pay for everything and it did help alot, but I always felt they could have organized it a little better...I guess it gives people incentive to get off WIC the soonest chance possible, which we did!

Closed Thread