"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Master Chef
Food Stamps

I heard on the news today that the average person on food stamps gets $3 per day. My grandson is getting food stamps down in Florida, and he gets about $4 per day.

I'm pretty good at pinching a penny, but I think it would be tough to get by on that amount. What do you all think? Could you do it?

We get by with a little help from our friends
Old 10-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
nope. not with 5 people.
just him or a family?
what gets me more is that I qualify. I dont think I am at a point where I SHOULD qualify for them.
Where there's a will, there's a way...
My will is to not depend on help unless I'm in dire straits. I don't think I'm there at the end of the day and I really think on it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
Old 10-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
I commend you suzi!!We have had food stamps since april when my husband was laid off from a good paying job! to be quite honest if we didnt have them, Im not sure how I could feed my kids! I agree with the statement "when theres a will theres a way" but for us ....its not working right now, I have children to feed & bills to pay.....VERY touchy subject for me..sorry!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
i probably could, but then there is only one of me. it would not be very well balanced food.

i qualify here in ca. but only about 35 dollars worth. not worth the paper work and having to go there, truthfully.

my daughter had them once. no shame in them. if used just to tide you over til things get better. i do know that they are often abused. the 35 dollars worth is for a month. as you can see not worth the 20 dollar cab ride i have to take for the paperwork.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Head Chef
I don't see how anyone could get by on $3 or $4 per day - thats just not enough, especially with skyrocketing food prices.

There was actually a study of this at this website and people tried the $3 per day food alotment to see what would happen

The Hunger Challenge
Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I see nothing wrong with food stamps, Whatever you get is more than you had before. My daughter had them for a while. At the end of the day, you are paying for the program out of your taxes, why not get something back?

Just my 2 cents.

One difference between a cook and a chef is that the cook mows the lawn, while the bread is rising.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
I got them for awile about 15 years ago, I'm not sure how much a day it equaled out to, but I haven't eaten as well since. Maybe it was because I was use to shopping cheap, but we could buy so much that we couldn't get on just my hubbys pay. I wasn't working and I guess they figured it would be cheaper to pay for groceries instead of childcare if I went to work. I didn't like accepting them at first,but then I figured that Ihad been paying into the system for 8 years already and would be paying into it again after kids went to school so it was kind of like my money anyway. Don't know if that was the right way to think, but it got me threw it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Sous Chef
That would be tough, but adillo's point is a good one. Something is better than nothing.

I can remember a few years back, my Aunt applied for food stamps-she needed them. She had only her SS, no pension, retirement etc.

The State of Nebraska did all that they could to belittle and humiliate her for even asking, and then after what seemed to be a 20 page questionaire, and several interviews, determined she was eligable for 10$-per month!!! Not even worth the time and effort. When I asked them exactly what she was supposed to do with the 33 cents/day, all they could tell me was that their determination was based on a set schedule.

She lives with my wife and I now, so that someone else might be able to put the 33 cents/day to better use.
Mess with me and you mess with the whole trailer park!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Sous Chef
Ramen noodles for everbody...
Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Sous Chef
If that is an average, people will get more or less depending on their circumstances. And like Adillo said, it's more than you had before. I don't think it is meant to provide a luxurious living for those using them, it is just to provide assistance until people get back on their feet. I'm sure it is very difficult to get by on that amount, but hopefully, and ideally that is not their only source of income. The welfare system is spread so thin I doubt there is money to give much more.

I'm sure it also depends on the family too. I've seen families buy loads of expensive frozen pizzas and pre-made foods with food stamps, and I've seen other families buy inexpensive foods that requires a bit more preparation. I think people just make do with what they have, and hopefully it is enough to get them back on their feet.

Closed Thread