Hamburger Gravy on Toast - Cheap, fast and easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Hamburger Gravy on toast.
all you need is some hamburger, a little flour, milk and toast... Salt and pepper to taste..

Fry up the hamburger, drain most of the fat, liberally sprinkle with flour and cook the flour a bit to lose that "flour" taste. Add milk, bring to a boil while stirring adding salt and pepper. When thickened, serve on toast..

This is NOT S.O.S. That is made with chipped beef..

That sounds good. I think I am going to try and make that, but I think I will add some chopped onions to the fat before I add the flour. Get a nice carmelization out of them. It sounds yummy and cheap, which is a win win!!!

My mother used to make that frequently when I was a child. Brings back good memories. She always sauteed some onion with the beef. Think I'll make some this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

Humm ... hamburger with milk gravy, onion, mushrooms, sour cream over noodles - isn't that taking this back to hamburger stroganoff?

Don't worry Jeff - no good deed or idea goes unpunished ... :mad:

Humm ... hamburger with milk gravy, onion, mushrooms, sour cream over noodles - isn't that taking this back to hamburger stroganoff?

Seeing how I don't like stroganoff or egg noodles in general, for me it's definitely not going there. I make a lot beef with sour cream sauce and sour cream instead of milk was a personal thought. Definitely no noodles in this for me.

Actually - it's not always about you Callisto. I was laughing about if you take all of the suggestions together - it gets back to hamburger stroganoff instead of creamed hamburger over toast.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - William Shakespear

I was laughing about if you take all of the suggestions together - it gets back to hamburger stroganoff instead of creamed hamburger over toast.
Well, maybe if the little mad face wasn't there we might think it was a laughter based comment but you seemed mad that people were commenting in the way they did. You did make it seem like none of should have commented with that face. Just saying, you looked really mad.

Callisto, Michael used Jeff's name in his post so no one would get confused. I believe this was in the nature of an inside joke.

Callisto, I am the one who said I make something similar to Jeff's on noodles and I took no offense at all. In fact I LMAO at the irony of it all and how Michael had caught it!

OK - back to the meat of this issue. I make something similar and put it over mashed potatoes. DH is from Idaho and is a potato man from the word "go." (This also removes any similarity to stroganoff).

Yes if you do all of that. Frankly.. the simpler hamburger gravy is often what I prefer.. I only use onions about 1/2 the time.. It's mild and tasty

OK - back to the meat of this issue. I make something similar and put it over mashed potatoes. DH is from Idaho and is a potato man from the word "go." (This also removes any similarity to stroganoff).

when i was raising a young family, this was a staple.we used potatoes as well. three members of family liked corn kernals on top. i put beans with bacon on mine. don't ask me why. also used a canned gravy. cheap and fast for a working mom

I make a recipe that is very similiar, but I also serve mine over instant mashed potatoes and sometimes I use ground breakfast sausage. It is one of my go to dishes when I want something fast and easy.

Last edited:
A very long time ago, when I was in elementary school, the lunchroom ladies made this and served it over mashed potatoes or on a bun. I have thought about this dish many times and now, I believe I will make it.
So many memories!!!!!

I wish I had defrosted hamburger meat this morning. I didn't think I'd be needing to cook tonight and now DD wants dinner. This would have been perfect if I had defrosted hamburger meat.

Back
Top Bottom