Hamburger Gravy on Toast - Cheap, fast and easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hamburger gravy, chipped beef gravy, sausage gravy, even succotash gravy! all are great. try them over waffles or a baked potato with broccoli and a side salad for a quick and tasty supper or brunch!

MexicoKaren said:
I make something similar and put it over mashed potatoes.

KAREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could you mention such a thing!!!!! I'm going to have to have this for dinner now..........I can't stop thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!

SOS with no chipped beef? I've never heard of using hamburger either. :huh:

KAREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could you mention such a thing!!!!! I'm going to have to have this for dinner now..........I can't stop thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!

SOS with no chipped beef? I've never heard of using hamburger either. :huh:
It does sound good. I may have to pull out some ground beef now.

I'm not feeling well at all today and I don't feel like making mashed potatoes - I may cheat and buy them. I REALLY want this!
My potatoes are turning green so I think this would be a good way to use those up. In an interesting turn, I had pulled out pork chops and put them in water but the water drained out so they didn't get any chance to defrost. Tossed those in the fridge for tomorrow and pulled out some hamburger.

Sh#* on a shingle (the meat/gravy is the first part, the slice of toast is the shingle)

The color can vary somewhat; not always appetizing but still edible. Squint, it helps. LOL The gooeyness depends on the cook - how much flour to milk, etc. Also, some give a dash of worchestershire which can affect the color.

Probably have to go back much earlier. It was a regular fair in the diners, but dried chipped beef ended up becoming more scarce and expensive so sausage or ground beef was substituted. Unknown whether the Army or the Marines did it first. It was after all "Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast", not Creamed ground beef on whatever.

200px-Chippedbeefontoast.jpg

File:Chippedbeefontoast.jpg

A very long time ago, when I was in elementary school, the lunchroom ladies made this and served it over mashed potatoes or on a bun. I have thought about this dish many times and now, I believe I will make it.
So many memories!!!!!

same here, I was first introduced to this at my school cafeteria....but for me it was high school....my elementary school did not have a cafeteria, you walked home for lunch, or if that was not possible, you packed your lunch and ate in the classroom.

Recently I have been making a lot of a variation of this..basically the recipe Jeff posted, but adding sausage seasonings to the ground beef/chevon. Dh was not familiar with this dish and has really taken a shine to it. The hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes was a staple of my high school cafeteria, I actually have fond memories of it..

This one struck my funny bone. When I was young, Mom used to make something she called "poor man's soup". It always struck my fancy because it wasn't really a soup. She'd cook some hamburger (the cheapest stuff) along with small-diced carrots, celery, onions, and maybe even potato. Then she'd turn it all into a gravy (using a water/flour slurry). THEN she'd pour it over toast with peanut butter spread on it. Lots of nutrition for small bucks.

Back
Top Bottom