"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #111
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I will admit to being dreadfully extravagant when I food shop. My business also supplies our household with much of our food.

I have a friend however, who is a shining example of thriftiness! She grows heaps of vegetables all year in a smallish back yard, she bakes her own bread in the breadmaker, makes her own yogurt and a few soft cheeses, preserves as much as she can, (I just got plum jam, quince and crabapple jellies, tomato relish and apricot jam from her) she also makes her own peanut butter, ginger beer etc. When her children were young she never bought disposable diapers, used the cloth ones. She rarely buys household cleaners but uses white vinegar and baking soda for lots of cleaning. She even has a mix she makes up to use in the washing machine and it works a treat! I was visiting her recently and the kitchen smelt divine as she was canning peaches and apricots. And I want some.

I admire her very much but dont possess the patience involved there! Have to admit she does this more because she is an avid ' Greenie' as opposed to saving money, but there is no doubt she saves HEAPS of that.

One site she recommends is

www.simplesavings.co.nz

apparently she gets lots of ideas there. And since I have never visited I shall rectify that post haste!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #112
Assistant Cook

As previously stated, I also never shop on a empty stomach. I usually do most of my shopping at WINCO Foods. Which is a the cheapest food store in town for the most part. I stock up on bags of frozen chicken breasts. Local Saturday Markets can be good to find fresh local veggies. I also shop at the local Asian Food Store, Prices are usually higher but you can find ingredients that major chain stores don't carry. I try to make big meals and then freeze left overs for the future. My food budget varies month to month. Depends if I have been a good boy with my checking account, LOL!!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #113
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedParrot View Post
As previously stated, I also never shop on a empty stomach. I usually do most of my shopping at WINCO Foods. Which is a the cheapest food store in town for the most part. I stock up on bags of frozen chicken breasts. Local Saturday Markets can be good to find fresh local veggies. I also shop at the local Asian Food Store, Prices are usually higher but you can find ingredients that major chain stores don't carry. I try to make big meals and then freeze left overs for the future. My food budget varies month to month. Depends if I have been a good boy with my checking account, LOL!!
I LOVE Winco, lol. I get everything except produce and meat there, which I try to get at the farmer's market because it tastes so much better. Winco meat scares me a little bit.