"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
I go on the shopping tour.... I get produce from one place, a green grocer with excellent prices, just tiny aisles and shopping carts from every store known to man. I have a butcher and a fish monger, both who have gotten to know me. I only buy what I will cook within the next two days. I buy good bread and deli meats from an italian bakery/deli. Everything else I get from the supermarket. For the most part, I only shop once a week, but make enough to get me through the next several days, living on leftovers.

My best advice is just buy what you know you can consume. Don't buy in bulk unless you positively will use it. Sometimes, money in the bank is better than money on your shelf...in other words, keep a very tight inventory.
So the separate stores where you shop all have lower prices than the supermarket where you also shop? Does it pay (in the long run) to drive to all these separate places, or all they all within walking distance?

I used to shop three stores, but that's not feasible anymore. Not where I live now and not with the price of gas. I would have to drive too far to visit all three, let alone only buying food I cook within two days. Then going back if I don't want to eat leftovers the next five days.

There must be a big difference between country livin' and urban livin' and how we must have to buy to save money. I would think that even in the city you would want to stock up, but maybe not.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #22
Master Chef

I live in a house of 5 people. I shop at 5 different stores. The beginning of the month I do inventory on my pantry, freezer, etc... Make a meal plan trying to use what I have on hand. I plan my meals for almost the whole month and buy all I can the first of the month. Of course I can't buy a months worth of produce, dairy and breads. The first of the month I get all I can at Sav-a-lot, I then drive less than 1/2 mile to Super Wal Mart and get things I couldn't get at the first store. I usually head home to unload and divide any family packs of meats, etc... into smaller packages.
The other three stores I only buy what I need if it's on sale. Publix is good about offering BOGO's. I clip coupons, but only for stuff I normally would buy anyway. My shopping list is my bible. I stick to it. I shop alone. I pretty much have the stores memorized so I never go down an aisle that has nothing I need. No impulse buying here. All the stores I shop at are within 15 minutes of my house. I have a log of all my coupons listed in my computer so I can easily highlight the coupons I should use and once the shoppings done I delete them off the list. One thing I had to learn not to do is run in to get one thing, it never works. I always wait if I can till my next planned shopping trip.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My number one rule LEAVE HUBBY AT HOME!!! The total doubles if I bring him with me. lol
Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #24
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Some excellent suggestions here - the ground meat suggestion makes me want to get the grinding attachment for the Kitchen Aide,

As for leaving DW at home, that always makes it cheaper, at least for me!

We combo shop - try to get what we can in bulk from Sam's (no Costco nearby) then go to Super Target out of convenience.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM   #25
Master Chef

nothing is cheap here............nothing......nada....no way, Jose.........don't really know how the locals afford it.......our company does give us a monthly stipend that helps out but even now they are questioning it........some do-gooder came over a few months ago and commented on the beautiful weather we were having......and wasn't this a nice place to live......hey, GF, come over here in January-March and let's see what you have to say as you're trying to draw a fresh breath as your lungs are choking are cold, artic air.......when the only thing available are onions and cabbage......of course you can have your fill of my friend, Flicka......even horse meat is expensive here......
Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #26
Sous Chef

For those struggling with food costs, there is a Christian outreach program that may be available where you live. You can type in your zip code and see if one is nearby. You pay reduced prices, but you don't have to fill out an application, nor provide income information. If you don't have money you can pay with food stamps. It's where I'd go if I needed to.

I have no way of knowing about the quality of their products, but hey, it's food.

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries
Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #27
Master Chef

We have friends who buy food through that program. They pay a certain nominal price, and are given a box of food. They say it's really a good deal.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I just lower my grocery bill by eating out more.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So the separate stores where you shop all have lower prices than the supermarket where you also shop? Does it pay (in the long run) to drive to all these separate places, or all they all within walking distance?

I used to shop three stores, but that's not feasible anymore. Not where I live now and not with the price of gas. I would have to drive too far to visit all three, let alone only buying food I cook within two days. Then going back if I don't want to eat leftovers the next five days.

There must be a big difference between country livin' and urban livin' and how we must have to buy to save money. I would think that even in the city you would want to stock up, but maybe not.
All the stores are within a 5 mile radius, and yes, for the most part the prices are better at the smaller shops. In some cases, it's the service and quality that wins.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

5 mile radius.... definitely an advantage.