"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Old 09-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #51
Head Chef
Originally Posted by momerlyn View Post
Eat at mom's.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #52
Master Chef
There used to be a bread store in town, selling day old breads and rolls. I saved a lot there but the store is gone now. It was Stroeman's. There's a Pepperidge farm outlet about 30 min away but I don't eat that brand . Doesn't matter now anyway, since I make my own bread.

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #53
Executive Chef
Items for the bathroom or hygiene can cost a fortune at supermarkets. Your better off at Walmart or Target.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Items for the bathroom or hygiene can cost a fortune at supermarkets. Your better off at Walmart or Target.

you are right! i try to also shop for them at big lots, and the 99cent store.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #55
Master Chef
I had to laugh at some responses. A number of years ago I was feeding my family (don't have kids myself, but Mom, Dad, three sisters an probably a neice or nephew or three). It was very spur of the moment, so I took cans of vegetables and soup and tomatoes, made a hearty soup, and crackers and cheese and ... voila! Supper! But what was funny about the entire occasion is that one my my sisters had, at a relatively advanced age (30-ish) just moved out on her own, just married. She was sitting there, yumming up my great dinner (huh?) and said, "Do you guys know what it costs to eat?!" Hubby, Mom, Dad and I just about fell on the floor laughing. It is a joke now, but at the time we were all astonished. I just waved my hand at the table. As cheap as it was, it still wasn't free. Because she could always get a free meal at mom's or Claire's, she thought the food appeared from nowhere? That it didn't cost us anything to produce? Oh, by the way, I probably produced a salad, which is always the most expensive item on the menu when you cook at home.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #56
Head Chef
We finally have a decent Korean/Latino market close to us that has an amazingly inexpensive seafood counter. As BrazenAm said most of the fish is priced under $8.00lb. I recently paid $5.39lb for a whole red snapper and was very pleased with the quality. Large bags of rice are incredibly cheap. For the most part though, I usually plan my meals around whatever is on sale at the grocery stores that week. And yes I'm also a proud member of the coupon clipper club!
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #57
Master Chef
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
you are right! i try to also shop for them at big lots, and the 99cent store.

I LOVE Big Lots! I get juice, cereal, coffee and other food stuff there too.
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #58
Assistant Cook
Wink Ways to save...

1) Target and Wal*Mart for non-food (and food if you have a supercenter) - cleaning supplies, baby products, health and beauty, etc. - even with a double coupon, it's hard to beat them for me.
2) Make the list, check it twice - Hard to do, but I make the list and check that I am not repurchasing (and try to stick to it).
3) Labeled pantry and fridge shelves - labeling what goes where has reduced things ending up in the wrong place and repurchasing items
4) Bulk buying - I buy cereal and things like that when on sale (+ use coupons).
5) Never shop while hungry - :) Nuff said on that one.
6) Peapod (delivery service) - this one will make some eyes roll, but with a few different "first time order" coupons w/ different e-mails ($20 off) + using coupons + buying what is on sale, I saved ~$40 one week and didn't have to leave the house. Peapod/Giant delivered the order. The bill came in $20 below what I had spent on similar items the previous week. Peapod is definitely not a $$ saver ongoing, but strategically used here and there, it doesn't have to be a major cost hit (and saves you a lot of time on a weekend where you don' t have any). We used them recently when we were out of town all weekend, and that night came back to a delivery order with everything we needed for the week! Was lovely.
7) Store brands - We have Trader Joe's with great Trader Joe's brand products that are often better than National brands... Ditto at Wegman's and Giant. Certain items are indistinguishable from national or, better.

These might not be the best ideas for you, but work for my life. And thanks for all the ideas!
a4q96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #59
Senior Cook
I buy whatever is on sale, and lots of it. I make what I can with it. I also stock up if any canned goods or frozen items I like are a great deal that week.
Let's Pour Tea!
Calya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #60
Master Chef
Making the list was the hardest lesson I had to learn, but yes, I do spend less if I list. I've been pretty good at it the past few years. I forgot the list on Friday (my usual big shopping day) and spent easily 1/3, maybe even twice, what I would have had I had my list in hand. The thing is you can't be totally inflexible, to the point where you don't see an item on the shelf that is really discounted and a steal if it is one of your staples or is a non-perishable item.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote