"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 12-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #71
Master Chef

Shopping for a meal or two at a time is cost effective?? How, exactly does this work unless you're within walking distance of your supermarket?

I plan recipes & shop for a whole week to a week & a half, & save bundles by doing so. If I went grocery shopping every day or every other day, what a waste in gasoline & time that would be.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #72
Head Chef

Lately I am a check the sales, stick to my list type. I do a "big" shop one week and the next week just to pick up fresh milk, produce, bread.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #73
Senior Cook

I buy our meat from Costco or when it is on sale. I try to plan our meals around what I have in the freezer rather than deciding to make something on the spur of the moment that I don't have the ingredients for.

DH and I also love all kinds of soup and that is generally quite inexpensive.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #74
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Shopping for a meal or two at a time is cost effective?? How, exactly does this work unless you're within walking distance of your supermarket?
I find that buying ingredients for a couple nights at a time helps me because I only buy what I'm going to eat. Therefore I don't over shop or overspend on things I may not use in the end. I don't buy food that sits for a week, possibly spoiling - wasting money. I don't know about you, but over here food is expensive. And I don't by "junk food" which is quite expensive, I'd be tempted to throw in snacks if I were shopping for 2 weeks worth of groceries.

As far as living walking distance to my markets, no I don't. In fact, I have to shop at a few markets as I'm sure many of you do, too. This is another way to save money, btw.

Now, as far as the way I read your post, I'm biting my tongue. Hopefully it was misconstrued on my part.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #75
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post

I plan recipes & shop for a whole week to a week & a half, & save bundles by doing so. If I went grocery shopping every day or every other day, what a waste in gasoline & time that would be.
I should be more grateful. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #76
Head Chef

I eat with the seasons.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

i shop on line for a month. you really pay attention to costs on that much. plan meals and baking and shop for what i need. of course there are things i buy on routine basis. paper goods, cat food, etc. it really cuts down on impulse buying. sometimes for holidays i do a order that is small for food for the occasion.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #78
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i shop on line for a month. you really pay attention to costs on that much. plan meals and baking and shop for what i need. of course there are things i buy on routine basis. paper goods, cat food, etc. it really cuts down on impulse buying. sometimes for holidays i do a order that is small for food for the occasion.
Exactly, impulse shopping is a big grocery bill hike. I don't by goodies. Instead I'll buy sweet breads to curb the ole sweet tooth.

There are items that are always on hand that dont need to be refreshed as often as others, but when it comes to meats and produce, I prefer shopping every few days.

Frequency of shopping is definitely circumstantial. I live in Los Angeles, and I work downtown. There are accessible markets all over the place. So, wasting gas is not a problem, all are along my route.

Another reason I shop for meats and produce frequently is I'm forgetful, and to pull frozen meat down in the morning or night before, is usually overlooked. And then meat is never used, and I get grossed out "too frozen" meats resulting in a pound or two of chicken being tossed out.

So yes, I have my reasons for shopping frequently, as you all have yours for not. ;)
Old 12-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #79
Master Chef

I saw this and thought it was a good guide:

How to Grocery Shop and Cook Frugally - wikiHow
Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #80
Assistant Cook

I shop at a giant grocery store, and typically I found the best way to lower grocery bills is to 1) buy things that are on sale at the time I'm shopping, and 2) resist buying pre-wrapped junk food like chips, soft drinks, cookies, etc, plus they're not healthy for you anyways ;)

Hai