"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #101
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Jonesboro, GA (Suburb of Atlanta)
Posts: 38
Several Aldi stores have opened up in our area and they have some great deals. Milk is the biggest $2.69 a gallon which is almost a dollar saving. They have great prices on produce, here they get new produce on Thursday so try to buy it then. Here they have a lot of Fit & Active products and they are good. Everything I've tried has been good.
I don't throw any left over food away. I keep containers in my freezer, if I have a leftover piece of chicken, pork, etc., I chop it up and put it in the approprate container. When it's full, I make something that calls for cooked meat, etc. If I have a banana going bad, I mash it and put it in a container. Then make banana bread, etc. Same with vegetables for soup.
I make a weeks menu using things I have on hand in the freezer. Then go through the sale flyers and buy meat, etc that is on sale then use those items for next weeks menu.
__________________

__________________
FutbolMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #102
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
coupons! i posted elsewhere that i saved $22 on items & they were only $1.58.

i've a coupon here fer $3, another fer $2. so i'll get my stuff free.

i love coupons.
__________________

__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #103
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 106
I buy in bulk , divide and freeze the meat ,buy only on sale use coupons, for gas shop once week, plan deals arounds sale. we eat leftovers now. which is a good thing.
__________________
chilichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #104
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Well, I'm down to one roll of paper towels every three weeks! Gonna try and stretch it for a month next time around!

The best ways I have found to save money is make more of my own stuff.... and that goes for just about anything. From food to cleaners. Watching some of the commercials on TV.. it is amazing the stuff they try to make you think you need!
__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #105
Senior Cook
 
seans_potato_business's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 244
I think there are loads of ways a person can save money, but it depends on what they're already doing. You can cut most meat out for an easy start since you can get much better value from most vegetables. You can also avoid wasting gas/electricity by only heating the water that you need (e.g. a bit more than the vegetables will absorb or, just enough to cover them with a little left over for losses by evaporation). This forum is awash with resource-uneconomic recipes and ideas; there are too many to mention. I think "common sense" would be the best way to sum up all my ideas! Some people might need to lower their standards.
__________________
We don't inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.
seans_potato_business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #106
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
"Some people might need to lower their standards."

sean,

i disagree; i save plenty without dropping my standards. i dine on plenty of high-class lunches & dinners without compromising standards when i'm hungry fer them.
i don't mind fast food or stuff like that, though.
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 AM   #107
Assistant Cook
 
faye_arv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
Not taking my wife grocery shopping with me easily cuts the bill in half.
You sound like my husband!! The only thing is...when he gets back from the super market, he has a whole bunch of junk with him that wasn't on the list, like potato chips etc. Do you do that to?
__________________
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne
faye_arv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #108
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,862
The EDGE! Some of you have stated to freeze most things. I had been doing this for most of my life. Until my electric went out three different times in a two year period did I give up. Was it a great heartache to throw out the contents due to fact that electric was out for more than 7 days. How can someone try to salvage any of it? You could not believe the odor. My cans were loaded with things I had tried so very hard to buy on sale. Could someone tell me what kind of lesson I was to learn from this? Only if we had generator could things have been different, not to mention A/C and heat that was unbelievable. Keeping the windows open with neighbors who were fortunate to have generators was something to remember. I personally, don't know how they themselves slept with all the racket going on. Trying to buy generator seems to be at the bottom of my list for things we need.

Only can recall one advice I read states, 'don't worry about tomorrow, it has enough of its own to worry about'. My freezer is surely not full these days. One reason prices of things are getting out of control.
__________________
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #109
Senior Cook
 
seans_potato_business's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
"Some people might need to lower their standards."

sean,

i disagree; i save plenty without dropping my standards. i dine on plenty of high-class lunches & dinners without compromising standards when i'm hungry fer them.
i don't mind fast food or stuff like that, though.
I guess it really depends on the person and their situation. I did only say "some people" and "might", and what they "need" to do really depends on their respective situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
The EDGE! Some of you have stated to freeze most things. I had been doing this for most of my life. Until my electric went out three different times in a two year period did I give up. Was it a great heartache to throw out the contents due to fact that electric was out for more than 7 days. How can someone try to salvage any of it? You could not believe the odor. My cans were loaded with things I had tried so very hard to buy on sale. Could someone tell me what kind of lesson I was to learn from this? Only if we had generator could things have been different, not to mention A/C and heat that was unbelievable. Keeping the windows open with neighbors who were fortunate to have generators was something to remember. I personally, don't know how they themselves slept with all the racket going on. Trying to buy generator seems to be at the bottom of my list for things we need.

Only can recall one advice I read states, 'don't worry about tomorrow, it has enough of its own to worry about'. My freezer is surely not full these days. One reason prices of things are getting out of control.
The only thing that I freeze is bread, but that can just as well be refrigerated. It's pretty unusual for an electric outage where I live(d) in the UK and the Netherlands. I've never even heard of one lasting days. With proper planning though, it might be possible to do away with the freezer entirely. I manage, but I'm just a lone student. Since you say that your freezer is mostly empty, depending on the design, you should consider filling it with empty boxes, so when you open it the cold air doesn't rush out so easily (which costs money). Same goes for the refrigerator.

You might try to foster a relationship with your neighbours so that you could store some things in their fridge/freezers in the event of a long-term blackout. I don't know how feasible that is for you.
__________________
We don't inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.
seans_potato_business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #110
Sous Chef
 
attie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Mackay Queensland Australia
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
Not taking my wife grocery shopping with me easily cuts the bill in half.
LOL, I'm the culprit there but I have learnt to never go shopping when you are hungry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutbolMom
Several Aldi stores have opened up in our area and they have some great deals. Milk is the biggest $2.69 a gallon which is almost a dollar saving.
We have a few Aldi stores in our major centers but our two main players are Woolworths [not related to the US name] and Coles who control 80% of the market, and don't they play on it.
Crikey, $2.69 a gallon for milk is cheap, the best we can buy it for is about US$6.50 a gallon
__________________

__________________
http://cockeyed.com/inside/vegemite/vegemite.html
We are happy little Vegemites, happy as can be
attie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.