"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #111
Chief Eating Officer

I am not one who subscribes to the don't go food shopping when you are hungry newsletter. I am the opposite. I went shopping tonight when I was hungry. Because I was hungry my mind was on food and what I could make. I bought meals for the week and was able to plan out different meals as opposed to when I usually go shopping and just get what is on my list which generally is for one or two meals at a time.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #112
Master Chef

We had an Aldi open up here in Culpeper last year, & all I can say is that I'd have to be homeless & living out of a cardboard box on the sidewalk before I'd shop there.

We went in shortly after they opened & were absolutely disgusted. After hearing glorious reviews from folks in other areas around the country that had Aldis, we re-visited last month & were just as disgusted.

Aisle upon aisle of off-brand junk food & two aisles of overly warm produce piled on the floor in cardboard boxes just swarming with fruit flies. Yum.

Regardless of how one feels about WalMart's politics, there's one right across the street from this Aldi slime-fest, & I can only hope it puts Aldi out of business. Folks on a budget shouldn't be subjected to this kind of stuff.

Oh, & I've heard that other Aldis aren't like this one, so if you have one that's decent, all the more power to you.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #113
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am not one who subscribes to the don't go food shopping when you are hungry newsletter. I am the opposite. I went shopping tonight when I was hungry. Because I was hungry my mind was on food and what I could make. I bought meals for the week and was able to plan out different meals as opposed to when I usually go shopping and just get what is on my list which generally is for one or two meals at a time.
I'm the opposite, we shop once a fortnight and just top up with bread and milk in between, before we moved to town we shopped once a month and if I'm hungry I keep adding to the list .
Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #114
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

that's an easy way to save cash, geebs, & i agree. if i'm not hungry i buy stuff i really don't want & throw that food out, whereas if i'm hungry, i'll gobble my selections.
some days i get too hungry, & then i'm stuck with overflowing shelves, !
oh, well, balance is key, they say.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #115
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by attie View Post
You should get yourself organised GB, we shop once a fortnight and just top up with bread and milk in between, before we moved to town we shopped once a month.
I happen to be a very organized person thank you. I like to shop in frequent trips instead of once a month as we do not have space for all that food and I also like to get my food as fresh as possible. If I am buying veggies I buy them the day I use them. Same with meat.

My staples I always have on hand, but veggies and meats and fish get bought that day usually. I live 5 minutes from the market so it is not a big deal to go there when we need.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #116
Sous Chef

Sorry GB, I changed that post but you were to quick, I didn't mean to infer you weren't organised but we didn't have the luxury of being close to the shops so it was a necessity to plan well ahead
Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #117
Chief Eating Officer

Not a problem Attie. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #118
Head Chef

I usually shop Big. Buy on sale items and stock up. I like the feeling of knowing that what I feel like cooking, the ingredients are in the house. I made Lasagna yesterday and did not have any ricotta cheese. I processed some cottage cheese in the food processor. No body could tell the difference and I have some left over to eat with my pineapple(no waste).
Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #119
Head Chef

This past year we had a flood, don't ask me how long the freezer floated while running, I replaced it soon after and no loss of food (thank God).
I canned pickles--cucumbers, veggies, peppers and make jams, picked up a pressure canner too and have canned meats and poultry. I'll be doing green beans later this week. I doubled the garden and doubled the herb garden too (to dry and store for fresh dried herbs). I will probably dehydrate tomatoes--easier and less processing time, less cost than canned. I collect canning jars from friends and rummage sales.
My son and some friends of mine built a pantry for the basement so I could store my canned goods, and those canned goods they give me at work (we make cans at work).
I made some different things, like high bush cranberry ketchup which is really spicy and sweet, I like it. Corn relish like my mom used to make when I was growing up. Peach blue berry and lavender jam.
I have fruit trees too and if all else fails, I'll buy bulk at the road side stands, we have them everywhere and I'll put those veggies up. There is even a farmer that used to work where I work, and he stops in on Thursdays at noon to see if anyone wants to buy his veggies.
I give some of my canned stuff away to relatives for christmas and some to my starving 20 something year old sons--poor things, ha.
I didn't grow corn but there is lots of corn at the road side stands so I may be pressure cooking that too for the winter. I also can dried beans to make preparation faster when I want to eat them.
In my mind I see myself canning 3 or 4 nights a week with some preparation, so 7 qts x 3 = 21 quarts a week for a month or so, maybe 2 months. (prewashing jars, preheating in oven, prepping veggies) I should have 100-200 more cans of canned food done before deer hunting season. My favorite for cold salads is pressure canned turkey when turkey goes on sale then I cook it and pressure can it, I mix it with grapes cut in half, celery, mayo, white pepper, sugar and serve between two slices of real whole wheat bread. Yum!
I do shop one stores loss leaders, and I buy in bulk, only what we eat. I don't have time for coupons and usually buy generic if I need to buy something that isn't just meat, fish, poultry, veggies, fruit, milk, dairy products. I make my own soap, and laundry soap too.
I seem to have more time to cook meals (week-ends mostly) in the winter to get us through the week.
We are in bean season now, yay, beans! Dilly beans and pressure cooked beans.
~Bliss
Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

my goodness you are a busy bee. that is a lot of work , does anyone help you. good for you though, better food and certainly less expensive.

babe