"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 07-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #41
Executive Chef

^^^ OMG...that's awesome! ^^^

Old 07-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #42
Head Chef

I got really lucky today when I went to the supermarket. They had a special on whole chickens - 9 pesos a kilo - or about 40-45 cents a pound. Only two at that price, and they were bagged two to a bag. So I got some great chicken, brought it home, cut it up and froze it. Should go back this evening for more. And they were SO fresh...no odor to them at all.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

A plastic container doesn't take up any room in a landfill?
I know what you are trying to say, GG, but plastic containers don't last forever. And at that point I bet they take up much more room than the amount of plastic wrap sheets it took to make the container. Just a thought.....

Nice closet Mama!

They can make edible underwear.
You would think they could make edible plastic wrap.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #44
Head Chef

Learning to portion whole cuts of meat is one of the best money saving tricks in the kitchen. No portion of a chicken sells for less than the whole, even factoring in the back and neck portions, which I use for stock. Chickens often go on sale here, and when they do, I buy 10 or so, cut them up, and freeze, Use the necks, backs, etc, for stock.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've been using a homemade cleaner for years - equal parts lemon juice, white vinegar, and water. None of that is toxic, but the acid cuts grease and kills bacteria.
Does it smell like vinegar GG? That is the other problem I have with using the bleach mixture. Hubby does not like the smell nor does he like the smell of vinegar. I would like to give that a try!!!

Yea, I was thinking the plastic containers would last much longer and can be resued alot more.... and correct me if I am wrong.. but those ziploc or glad brand of storage containers, are they not recyclable?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #46
Master Chef

Yea Mama... I'm commin to shop at your house!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #47
Head Chef

My grown kids do all the time!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I only buy canned goods when they are on sale. For instance, I use a lot of canned chicken and beef broth. Every year around Thanksgiving, one of the local supermarkets has it on sale 3 cans for $1. I buy several cases of each, enough to last until next year when it goes on sale again. Same way with all of my other canned goods. I only buy when it's on sale and then I BUY!

I've turned the closet in the office into a pantry. I keep everything rotated and when something looks like it might get close to expiring...guess what's for supper?
Holy pantry Mama ... and my family thinks I have too much "inventory" on hand. I am waving your picture around saying SEE, I AM NOT CRAZY!! Kudos to you!

Love this topic, as I'm sure it's weighing heavy on many minds!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:07 AM   #49
Head Chef

When they have to go to the store a buy a can of chicken broth and pay $.75 a can, I remind them that I only paid $.33 and I don't have to burn the gas to go to the store everytime I need something.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
A plastic container doesn't take up any room in a landfill?
I know what you are trying to say, GG, but plastic containers don't last forever. And at that point I bet they take up much more room than the amount of plastic wrap sheets it took to make the container. Just a thought.....
Depends on the plastic containers you choose

Tupperware Lifetime Guarantee

I still have Tupperware products I received as shower gifts when I was married 24 years ago; my mom still has Tupperware from when she purchased or was given them in the 1960s. I would guess that over 40 years, one has gone through many, many rolls of plastic wrap (and the plastic, rolls, and boxes are all in landfills), while an investment in high-quality plastic containers pays for itself many times over - and they're not in a landfill.