"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

you can mash the beans and mix them with crushed up cereal or breadcrumbs and an egg or two to make the mixture stick together and fry them like burgers.

i make croquets with egg and cereal or breadcrumbs from tuna or salmon also.

you can change up ramen noodles or any kind of pasta with different types of recipes. my daughter loves ramen with a little peanut butter, a dash of oil, some hot pepper sauce, and chopped onion, grated carrot and cabbage. you can dice up just a small amount of cooked chicken or beef and add it if available.

i go to the grocery store to shop early in the day after they have marked down all the meat and fish and buy up whatever i can thats still fresh and on sale for up to 50% sometimes. i divide everything up into meal sized portions and freeze them.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #22
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Eggs
Dry Beans
Tortillas
Frozen vegetables
Canned tuna

Look for sale proteins. Large packs of chicken thighs are usually very cheap in my store and are very versatile. Sometimes ground turkey is BOGO -- also a versatile protein.

Obviously look for sales on other items

Ramen noodles fortified with frozen veggies isnt the worst thing to eat for lunch.

It's doable!!
Awesome!
You can also eat alot of pasta for cheap. A little butter and garlic or some parm with milk and a few egg yolks. Potatoes are cheap too. Home fries with alittle onion anyone? Your hubby could also volunteer at the food bank for a day or two in trade for some groceries. at least i heard they do that here.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #23
Half Baked

Almost forgot dandelions from your lawn if you dont have pets and don't poison them. There are alot things that can be had for free with a hike or walk in the park.
We grew up eating lambsquarters which was weed in the empty lot behind my Grandmothers house. I wish I could find them in the grocery now that G-ma is gone.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #24
Master Chef

The turkey is a great idea...check the ads or call around for the best price. Besides all the dishes you can make with the meat, you can boil the carcass for soup.
Also look for a 5 lb. box of scrap bacon...a box store will probably have this. Some will be nice enough to fry, while some can be cooked with dried beans or cheap canned green beans, and with corn bread, will make a tasty and filling meal.
Be sure to save the bacon grease for gravy. Homemade biscuits and gravy have kept a lot of people from going to bed hungry. Same with red beans and rice.

I suggest you inventory your cupboards, plan your menus, and make a comprehensive list of everything you'll need. For instance, if you don't already have salt, baking soda, baking powder, flour and shortening, it might be more economical to buy a box of generic biscuit mix. Same with the cornbread. You can buy a cornbread mix for 50 cents.

I remember one time when my kids were little, my ex and I had gone through an extra lean spell, and when he finally got a little overtime, he said it sure was nice to have a piece of meat big enough so that he needed a toothpick after he ate.

As my Granny-Great used to say, "You may as well laugh as cry!"
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

FWIW, the wheat harvest this year was down. I suspect we will see flour prices rising again.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Some of my favorite money savers.

Check the price per pound of cheese in blocks, when on sale they can be pretty darned cheap, shred it yourself an sometimes pay half as much.

Quiche, made with your own crust is quite cheap and a good place to use up small amounts of meats and veg from another meal, or you can skip the crust and make fritatta. Eggs can be a really cheap protein source.

fried rice is also a good place to use up small bits of meat and veg from another meal.

Look for sales on frozen veg, they can often be found for around $1 per pound here when on sale. (not the steamfresh or sauced, just plain) This is often much cheaper than fresh produce and just as nutritious.

Stir fry is a great way to get by with much less meat per person. The meat that 2 people would eat as an entree, can serve at least 4 with a stir fry.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara
I didn't see anyone mention it, but apply for food stamps, your hubby can do this. It's usually easy to do, and in some places, even on-line. They treat you with dignity and are there for just such cases as this.
Food stamps use a card now, much like a credit or debit card, unlike the food stamps/coupons of old. School breakfasts and lunches can also feed adults on your child's free or reduced lunch account, as well as younger sibs. Salvation Army, Red Cross, church food banks.

Peanut butter prices are supposed to go way up, get it soon.

Chili, stretched with rice, beans, corn or corn meal. Save any grease from bacon or sausage in a jar in the fridge for cooking/frying anything.

Sign your kids up for the Angel Tree at local stores, schools, and education agencies for Christmas gifts.

Prayers for you and your family.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Food stamps use a card now, much like a credit or debit card, unlike the food stamps/coupons of old.
It is called an EBT card. Electronic somethingorother Transaction. But everyone still calls them food stamps. And the new official name is SNAP. Supplemental Nutritional Assistant Program. But the public still calls them Food Stamps. The name will stick for ever.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

There are also a number of things you might do to cut your monthly expenses (if you have not already done so).
1. Call your credit card companies (if you have credit cards and unpaid balances) and see if you can negotiate a lower interest rate.
2. Wash your laundry in cold water to reduce your utility bill.
3. Turn off your hot water tank during hours when power is more expensive or people are not home/using hot water (if it is electric). Wrap the hot water tank in a heat blanket (these are about $35 at most home hardware stores).
4. Cancel your cable / satellite TV or reduce the number of channels you receive.
5. If you have more than one cell phone, restrict cell phones to emergency calls only. Switch to a pay-as-you-go plan so the time on your phone is prepaid.
6. Do not renew magazine subscriptions when they come due.
7. Buy gas on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Find the gas station closest that typically has the lower price or get loyalty points when buying groceries (Price Chopper in NY does this) to get a discount on gas.
8. Plan your trips so that you aren't running one errand. Do as many errands as you can on one trip.
9. Use public transportation if possible.
10. Clip coupons.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Thank you for all the suggestions! We will certainly use them. Im looking forward to trying some of these recipes. DH has an appointment at the food bank tomorrow morning. He feels awkward and embarrassed going, but he has a list so he's not overwhelmed and the nice volunteers there will be waiting for him. They have told us that they are getting more and more families who have never been there before. Then we can supplement the milk and eggs and such at the grocery store this weekend. In all I am thankful this is hopefully a temporary situation for us. As soon as we can afford to do it, we'll be making a trip to the grocery store to fill up some bags to donate back to the pantry.