"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

When DH and I were separated, I didn't qualify for food bank assistance. Dear friends brought me boxes of food. and homecooked meals. I really appreciated that and have done that when I've known friends are strapped (self-employed, don't qualify for assistance, vehicle repairs and heating fuel took all the money in the chequing account, etc.) For those who have friends going through a hard time, make extra and bring a picnic supper to a friend in need. Toss in a bottle of wine or a split of wine if you can. It makes all the difference in the world. DebLynn, if you lived in my neighbourhood, I'd drop off FRESH eggs and a big pot of homemade soup. Another thing, if you know if your hubby's ex-coworkers are in the same boat, you could pool cooking and eating together. Friends of mine have done that.

Your husband should not be ashamed. Times are really hard. Prayers with you and thoughts as well.

And, there are a lot of folks on DC who have been there (or are there) and can suggest ways to stretch that food dollar or cut expenses.

It does get better, but not immediately....hang in there.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Have you thought about super couponing? It definitely takes a chunk of time, but your husband may be able to do it. I did it for a while before I just didn't have time. There weren't any good blogs for my area so I had to clip and organize the coupons, compare them all to the flyers, and then do the shopping. It was amazing, though. I did it for about 6 months. During that time I spent 125-150 a month for 2 adults and a toddler for food, cleaning supplies, makeup, toiletries, tp, general household items, etc. I stalked up on things cleaning supplies, makeup, and toiletries during that time. I stopped doing it a year and a half ago and have only gone through about 1/2 of my stockpile. If you're not looking to stock up, you could easily cut that monthly budget down. You may be able to find great blogs in your area, too. The woman who introduced me to it had local blogs in her area that told her all of the deals. All she had to do was clip and shop. She and her husband had 1 daughter and 5 sons and their monthly budget for everything I mentioned above was $300. Do a google search for super couponing blog + your area, coupon blog + your area, or frugal blog + your area. You have to be careful because a lot of the coupons are for processed junk food, but even if you don't use it for food, you can save a ton on non-food items. I got my Pantene hair products for cheaper than store brand or Suave.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! We will certainly use them. Im looking forward to trying some of these recipes. DH has an appointment at the food bank tomorrow morning. He feels awkward and embarrassed going, but he has a list so he's not overwhelmed and the nice volunteers there will be waiting for him. They have told us that they are getting more and more families who have never been there before. Then we can supplement the milk and eggs and such at the grocery store this weekend. In all I am thankful this is hopefully a temporary situation for us. As soon as we can afford to do it, we'll be making a trip to the grocery store to fill up some bags to donate back to the pantry.
I'm glad you are moving forward with this!

When you do your shopping resist the urge to try too many new things just because they seem cheap. When times are tough I think it is important to stick with things that are familiar and come under the heading of comfort food. Nothing is a bargain if it creates additional stress trying to convince your family to eat it. Also try to hold back a couple of bucks for a small treat or two. The junior member of your family will need a couple of bright spots.

Please keep us posted on your progress! Good luck!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! We will certainly use them. Im looking forward to trying some of these recipes. DH has an appointment at the food bank tomorrow morning. He feels awkward and embarrassed going,.
Darling just tell him that it would be an honor for me to walk with him. I would also point out that I am proud to be amongst such caring people.This very cold wind is blowing across Europe as well. I could say more but ........
Old 12-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #35
Cook

I just wanted to echo potatoes! Even making a baked potato with broccoli (frozen) and a small cup of sour cream can be inexpensive. Best wishes, I have been there!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes!! DH did go to the food bank. Thankfully they stocked meats and dairy as well as dry goods. We were able to get chicken, ground beef, bread, soups, etc. and we supplemented with what we could get at the grocery store. I've practiced stretching the recipes and I've done a good job. Ive made fried chicken, minestrone soup, spaghetti, red beans and rice as some meals. We've watched our portion sizes and had leftovers for lunches. I have enough left for 4 more dinners and the its payday! We were given another appointment next week, but most likely we will give our spot away. We hope this is a one-time situation, but if not, I know the kind folks at the food bank will be there. We would not have gotten through this otherwise.

The other day my 7 year old asked me, "how do people get rich so they can afford groceries?" I explained that everyone goes through a tough time sometimes. Thankfully we're a lot more fortunate than many.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DebLynn, am so glad to hear things are working out for you! Stay strong!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad things worked out--with the holidays coming, I personally would still keep that option open. If I recall, your husband has been out of work for 6 months. The employment options in the States (and elsewhere) aren't great--not to be pessimistic, but keep that option open, IMO.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #39
Master Chef

I am happy that things are working out for you!

IMHO I think you should keep your spot for a couple of weeks until you are on solid ground.

I wish all the best for you and your family during the holidays and in 2012!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #40
Master Chef

You make me so glad that I channel my friends to certain local good works. It burns me when people are trying to get those with big bucks to send money to Africa or other countries, when it is so needed in our own communities. Do NOT feel embarassed about using your food bank. Yes, it can be hard. My husband and I are only retired, middle class people, but every Christmas season we throw a party, and the price of admission is something for our local food bank. We get more and more donations every year, and most people aren't exactly having a good time of it in this economy. So, please, please, use all the available sources out there for you in your time of need, then, remember, when you are back on the top, and you WILL be, turn around and toss a couple of cans or bags of food to your food bank.