I need some simple, inexpensive, healthy menu ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good!

I usually make a small pot of Senate bean soup when I cook up a batch of dried beans.

I remember split pea soup from when I was a kid. The taste was fine, it was the texture that put me off or maybe it was the jokes that my older brothers made about it. My mother always ran her split pea soup through a cone shaped sieve. I might enjoy it if it was cooked a little less and had some texture from other vegetables.

I will revisit it, thanks!

DH loves split-pea soup. We use Alton Brown's recipe and make it in the slow cooker with chopped carrots, celery and onion. Include some smoked ham hocks and a chipotle pepper for extra flavor.

Last edited:
Sorry I have taken while to get back to you Aunt Bea.I was away. For the curry I prefer mild ones so that the taste of the vegetables shine through. If you have a good curry sauce brand that you like then go with a 'Korma' Strength. I have made my own for years and it is always a bit different depending on how I feel that day so TNT is would not be fair of me to say. I use seasonal vegetables, no more than three types and one of those always onion. Here is my recipe for Chickpea curry but you can change the chickpeas for some pre-cooked spare vegetables if you have some defrosted.

• 1 can chickpeas
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• 1 onion
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 thumb-sized knob of fresh root ginger
• Half teaspoon dried chilli flakes (to taste)
• 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (yellow or black)
• 2 teaspoons garam masala
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• 1 carton coconut cream
• 1 handful fresh coriander (chopped)
Method
1. First, put on your rice to cook if that is what you prefer to have with your curries. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Finely dice onion and mince/grate/finely chop garlic and ginger. Heat oil in saucepan, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until onions start to take on some colour.
2. While onions are cooking, measure out all your spices, the salt and chilli flakes into a cup, ramekin or small bowl. When the onions are lightly browned, add garlic and ginger, stir and cook for a further minute.
3. Tip in the spice mix and give a stir while cooking a further minute or two. Turn heat down at any point if it looks like the onions are at risk of burning.
4. Tip in the tomatoes. Stir everything together and cook a further minute or two. Add chickpeas and coconut milk. Another stir and a couple of minutes on the hob until chickpeas are heated through.
5. Sprinkle over coriander, if you fancy it, to serve. Serve with whatever curry-related extras you like. Rice, pitta or naan bread, Indian fry bread and a yoghurt-cucumber raita. ;)

Serves 2-4

Sorry I have taken while to get back to you Aunt Bea.I was away. For the curry I prefer mild ones so that the taste of the vegetables shine through. If you have a good curry sauce brand that you like then go with a 'Korma' Strength. I have made my own for years and it is always a bit different depending on how I feel that day so TNT is would not be fair of me to say. I use seasonal vegetables, no more than three types and one of those always onion. Here is my recipe for Chickpea curry but you can change the chickpeas for some pre-cooked spare vegetables if you have some defrosted.

• 1 can chickpeas
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• 1 onion
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 thumb-sized knob of fresh root ginger
• Half teaspoon dried chilli flakes (to taste)
• 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (yellow or black)
• 2 teaspoons garam masala
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons paprika
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• 1 carton coconut cream
• 1 handful fresh coriander (chopped)
Method
1. First, put on your rice to cook if that is what you prefer to have with your curries. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Finely dice onion and mince/grate/finely chop garlic and ginger. Heat oil in saucepan, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until onions start to take on some colour.
2. While onions are cooking, measure out all your spices, the salt and chilli flakes into a cup, ramekin or small bowl. When the onions are lightly browned, add garlic and ginger, stir and cook for a further minute.
3. Tip in the spice mix and give a stir while cooking a further minute or two. Turn heat down at any point if it looks like the onions are at risk of burning.
4. Tip in the tomatoes. Stir everything together and cook a further minute or two. Add chickpeas and coconut milk. Another stir and a couple of minutes on the hob until chickpeas are heated through.
5. Sprinkle over coriander, if you fancy it, to serve. Serve with whatever curry-related extras you like. Rice, pitta or naan bread, Indian fry bread and a yoghurt-cucumber raita. ;)

Serves 2-4

Thanks MM!

The only curry I've ever made at home is Japanese curry with beef using those little bricks of who knows what. I really enjoy the Japanese curry in the fall of the year, it has a nice warm aftertaste, not hot just warm and spicy.

Is this the same style of curry that is so popular in Great Britain?

I will give vegetable curry a try, thanks again!

B

One of them Aunt Bea although there is an amazing choice to be found including more spicy ones to downright HOT. The most popular curry in the UK is, I believe, Chicken Tikka Masala, and it has to be said, for curry fans it is delicious. Guess what? it was actually created in Glasgow by a Scottish chef and the rest is history as they say!

Potted meats are fun, easy and cheap to make. You can get those little 3 to 4 ounce ramekins at the dollar store, two for a buck(even cheaper at yard sales or thrift stores, or use small jars, whatever) Tons of recipes using cheaper, less popular cuts of meat. Cook them down and add different spices. Pulse in a blender or use pre ground meats. Pack in the ramekins and freeze. Take them out as you need them and eat them on crackers with a salad, pickles or vegetables....

I have been on a potted meat kick lately. I've made pork cretons which I got 6, 4 ounce portions for around 3 bucks total. Made some duck rilettes yesterday. A bit more expensive but I used every last bit of the bird. Ate the breasts for supper and got 5 ramekins using the dark meat. Still have some fat and a couple of cups of gelatin left for soup some day.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Potted meats are fun, easy and cheap to make. You can get those little 3 to 4 ounce ramekins at the dollar store, two for a buck(even cheaper at yard sales or thrift stores). Tons of recipes using cheaper, less popular cuts of meat. Cook them down and add different spices. Pulse in a blender or use pre ground meats. Pack in the ramekins and freeze. Take them out as you need them and eat them on crackers with a salad, pickles or vegetables....

I have been on a potted meat kick lately. I've made pork cretons which I got 6, 4 ounce portions for around 3 bucks total. Made some duck rilettes yesterday. A bit more expensive but I used every last bit of the bird. Ate the breasts for supper and got 5 ramekins using the dark meat. Still have some fat and a couple of cups of gelatin left for soup some day.

Just a thought.

Rock,

How long can you keep your sealed, with fat, ramekins in the fridge before they go bad?

I made it years ago at Christmas to serve with pickles and little chunks of rye bread, similar to a pate.

Also try making some potted shrimp, very nice! :yum:

I use the tiny frozen salad shrimp and give them a rough chop so that a few remain whole.

Sharing potted shrimp | BBC Good Food

I love soups. All kinds of soups.

Occasionally, I will pick up a rotisserie chicken from my local supermarket as they have $5 Friday with their chickens. So the chicken is used for one meal along with some simple sides, but I save the bones and skin. (Chicken with a corn of cob (which is very cheap this time of year) along with a tomato salad (ditto.)) Then I take all of the bones and skin and make a stock. Strain the broth and add carrots, celery, potatoes. Simmer for 45 minutes and add a bit of frozen peas and leftover chicken. Salt and pepper to taste. The soup makes another meal or can be lunch for several days.

~Kathleen

I like the sound of the roasted root vegetable soup. In my kitchen it will probably be used to clean up a batch of roasted vegetables on musgo night. I roast a trio of vegetable almost every week and this soup would be a good way for me to use them up. I would probably use a cup or more of the roasted vegetables and a pint of tomato juice or stock for a quick meal.

Today I made a small batch of split pea soup using 1 cup of split peas, 3 cups of water, a carrot, a rib of celery and half of a medium sized onion. I added two packets of GOYA ham flavoring, a couple of whole cloves, a bay leaf, celery seed and a good amount of black pepper. I let it simmer for about 45 minutes until the split peas were breaking down. I enjoyed it much more than the split pea soup I grew up with. This soup was light, my Mother's version was like thick gravy. The only change I would make is to add the chopped vegetables after the first 15 minutes of cooking so they are a little firmer. This is a keeper!

For lunch try this little invention of mine: Greek Salad Rollups:

Flour tortillas
Your favorite hummus
Feta cheese
Greek (or just green olives)
sliced scallions
Chopped Greek peppers
Shredded cabbage or kale or romaine lettuce
Salt and pepper
Small amount of Greek salad dressing (or vinegar and oil)

I start by spreading a thin layer of hummus
Add all the other ingredients and lightly sprinkle with the dressing
Roll up tightly in a length of aluminum foil which serves 2 purposes: to keep it fresh if it is to be eaten later and to keep it from getting loose and falling apart.

All lacto-ovo vegetarian and the only carb is the wrapper.

For lunch try this little invention of mine: Greek Salad Rollups:

Flour tortillas
Your favorite hummus
Feta cheese
Greek (or just green olives)
sliced scallions
Chopped Greek peppers
Shredded cabbage or kale or romaine lettuce
Salt and pepper
Small amount of Greek salad dressing (or vinegar and oil)

I start by spreading a thin layer of hummus
Add all the other ingredients and lightly sprinkle with the dressing
Roll up tightly in a length of aluminum foil which serves 2 purposes: to keep it fresh if it is to be eaten later and to keep it from getting loose and falling apart.

All lacto-ovo vegetarian and the only carb is the wrapper.

The salad sounds great, I would have to pass on the flour tortilla.

A few years ago we had a restaurant in the business district that served a similar chopped salad, chicken salad etc... in an ice cream cone from a pushcart in front of the restaurant. People used to line up for them on nice summer days and head for the park.

4572.jpg

I like the sound of the roasted root vegetable soup. In my kitchen it will probably be used to clean up a batch of roasted vegetables on musgo night. I roast a trio of vegetable almost every week and this soup would be a good way for me to use them up. I would probably use a cup or more of the roasted vegetables and a pint of tomato juice or stock for a quick meal.

Today I made a small batch of split pea soup using 1 cup of split peas, 3 cups of water, a carrot, a rib of celery and half of a medium sized onion. I added two packets of GOYA ham flavoring, a couple of whole cloves, a bay leaf, celery seed and a good amount of black pepper. I let it simmer for about 45 minutes until the split peas were breaking down. I enjoyed it much more than the split pea soup I grew up with. This soup was light, my Mother's version was like thick gravy. The only change I would make is to add the chopped vegetables after the first 15 minutes of cooking so they are a little firmer. This is a keeper!

So glad this worked for you!

Back
Top Bottom