"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Everymom

Cruise through this thread. Jillions of chicken recipes and most are really easy and yummy.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I just made a great crockpot chicken cacciatore(sp?) but you can cook it in a baking dish in the oven as well. Just get some chicken drumsticks, pasta sauce and I used mushrooms but you can add peppers, onions, etc. Brown the chicken in some oil on the stove and throw everything in the crockpot and let it cook for 6-8 hours. Adjust the time if you cook it in the oven and I would probably cook it at 375.
I am the same way...chicken and pasta are always on my menu and my budget is very limited as well. I found thing to be both cost effective and easy to make. AND when you come home (if you do it in the crockpot) your house will smell like you've been slaving over the stove all day!

I also use simple things like different flavors of Shake and Bake...oh...search for Balsamic Soy Glazed chicken wings on here...I posted this great recipe several years ago and it's great! It smells really vinegar-y when you are reducing it but it tastes so good!! And you can use it with any cut of chicken.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
Beans & lentils are an amazing source of nutrition and they are cheap as well. Here's a list of ideas from my blog:

Recipes with Beans:
Recipes with Lentils:
Recipes with Chickpeas:
I bought a bag of 17 bean soup....I'll be playing with that on Saturday.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
oven baked chicken..

you will need butter and fresh garlic for this one..

melt some butter and add some minced garlic....dredge your chicken parts in the butter/garlic goo and then dip the parts in a combo of bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper..you can add some herbs to this too....place coated parts in a casserole dish, pour over any remaining butter and sprinkle on any remaining bread crumbs. Bake in oven at 350*F for one hour or more.
I'm going to do this tonight...thank you! Sounds great with some cornbread!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
Master Chef

Use ground chicken to make Cantonese Chicken Meatballs.
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground chicken
a dash of 5-spice powder
1 stalk celery, minced
1 medium sized yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs. all purpose flour
1 egg.
1 tbs. roasted sesame seed oil
2 tbs. Kikoman Light soy sauce

Combine all ingredients and roll into 1 inch balls. Place them into a lightly oiled pan with 3 tbs. water. Cover and steam for 10 minutes. Remove cover and saute', stirring every few minutes to lightly brown on all sides. Serve with brown rice and pineapple seet & sour sauce.

Or, combnine 1/3 cup Sriracha sauce, 1 tsp. Tobasco Sauce, and 1 tbs. Soy sauce together in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Remove the skin from four chicken thighs. Place the chicken into the marinade and cover. Place in fridge for 2 hours. Remove and bake for 30 minutes in a 350' F. oven. Serve with some good cornbread and beans.

Or, combine 1 cup flour with 2 tsp. kosher salt, 2 tbs. black pepper, 1 tsp. ground sage, 1/2 tsp each - oregano and sweet basil, 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, and 1/2 tsp. ground thyme. Beat an egg with 1/4 cup milk in a large bowl. Dredge chicken peices in the egg-wash, and then in the seasned flour. Shake off the extra flour. Place in 3 inches of hot oil 9360' with a candy thermometer) and fry until lightly browned. Turn and repeat. Take chicken pieces and place on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and place into a 375' oven. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove and serve with a juicy cole slaw (not a creamy slaw for this meal).

Or...

You ahve recieved some great ideas from the folks at DC. I hope you have found some inspiration in the recipes and tips. Good luck in your quest to cook frugally and eat well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
Executive Chef

use chicken (bone in for best flavor and price) and your spaghetti sauce to make a caciatore. Chicken totally changes the flavor of tomato sauce. Very nice over pasta.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Mr. Greenjeans

I could eat chicken 3 meals a day for 10 years and not get sick of it.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
I could eat chicken 3 meals a day for 10 years and not get sick of it.
Then what?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Then what?
Then I would turn to page two of my all chicken cookbook and start another 10 years.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
Senior Cook

So you know what I did last night? I cooked a chicken thigh in butter and garlic, and lots of pepper and some salt, in a pan till it was done, and crispy. I served it with homemade country gravy on top along with a big hunk of corn bread with lots of butter and honey. It was ok. I'd like to find a recipe similar to this, mine seemed to be missing something. I wonder if there's a casserole with country gravy included...?