"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I make homemade bird food. I use the bread heels for that. As well as the bone marrow and stale baking items such as raisins and dried fruits. My birds love it. During these cold and big snowy winters, I make sure the birds have food for energy. (These items aren't rotten they are just not fresh enough for me to cook with)
I try to get my wife to make dumplings from beef marrow which I enjoy in a beef broth.
Our birds seem to enjoy the tallow trimmed from venison.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
...and some mashed potatoes and ham steaks. I haven't figured out what I am going to do with them yet. Maybe I'll do some duchess potatoes but the ham is going to require some extra thought.
Ham and mashed potato croquettes, add in some sauteed onions/garlic, season it up nicely, form in patties or balls, roll in bread crumbs/panko and fry.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Cut ham into small cubes. Fry to crisp in butter and add to egg omelet. Make patties out of mashed potatoes and fry in butter, perhaps with minced onions.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I had to make another batch of stuffing because the soggy ones I mixed with the no so soggy ones got burned to a crisp when I mixed them up and loaded them into the muffin tin and put them in the oven and didn't set the timer.

This has held me up making leftover dishes with the turkey I just roasted. Leftovers is the reason I roasted it!

Tomorrow will be Turkey Strata, which I will layer in the loaf pan tonight for cooking tomorrow.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Zhizara,
You turkey leftovers sound wonderful! I may need to get another turkey soon too! There are just so many possibilities when you have leftover turkey in the freezer!

I used to make what we called "garbage soup" when my kids were little. Every time we had left over veggies, spagetti sauce, macaroni, chili, etc. we layered them into a freezer container in the freezer. When the container got full, it was time to have garbage soup. We just heated it up on the stove, and it was always a little different but always good. It was a free meal when money was a little tight, and it was always nice with cornbread.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #26
Senior Cook

I kind of did a reverse leftover thing this weekend. I wanted to make some chili, so I did. We used it first on Saturday and made chili dogs. I love my chili recipe, but honestly I didn't care for it as a sauce for the dogs. My boys loved it and each ate three!! We are going to warm the pot back up tomorrow night and I will serve it with cornbread and toppings (cheese, onions, etc.).
Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I try my best not to have any food leftover. I really don't like eating leftovers at all. I have learned to cook in proper proportions for me to avoid the leftovers. It works for me pretty well. People say I have a 30 min rule on food. Some people make a meal and eat it all week. Not for me.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #28
Senior Cook

Leftover/bird feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I try to get my wife to make dumplings from beef marrow which I enjoy in a beef broth.
Our birds seem to enjoy the tallow trimmed from venison.
Yes, I am sure the birds do enjoy the venison tallow. I make my own concoctions and I have plenty of birds year round. I especially enjoy seeing birds with their mates. I even had a cooper hawk sitting on my picnic table very close to the house enjoying the suet that I made.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #29
Executive Chef

The recent arrivals here seem to do just fine without us feeding them. Plenty of road kill to go around.

Craig
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Leftover mashed potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Cleaned out the fridge and had leftover:
pizza veggies
Swiss Steak
Smoky sausages
Quart jar of salsa

Added a can of beans and spices. Shredded the meat and now I have chili in the crock pot. Easy, easy.

What are you making from leftovers?
When I was a kid, I made a type of potato pancake from leftover mashed potatoes. I added one egg and just a small amount of bread crumbs. Today, I might add panko crumbs if I made them again. I tell people who maked mashed potatoes about this. They like it alot.

Tags
leftovers