Leftovers ...what are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make homemade bird food. I use the bread heels for that. As well as the bone marrow and stale baking items such as raisins and dried fruits. My birds love it. During these cold and big snowy winters, I make sure the birds have food for energy. (These items aren't rotten they are just not fresh enough for me to cook with)
I try to get my wife to make dumplings from beef marrow which I enjoy in a beef broth.
Our birds seem to enjoy the tallow trimmed from venison.

Last edited:
...and some mashed potatoes and ham steaks. I haven't figured out what I am going to do with them yet. Maybe I'll do some duchess potatoes but the ham is going to require some extra thought.

Ham and mashed potato croquettes, add in some sauteed onions/garlic, season it up nicely, form in patties or balls, roll in bread crumbs/panko and fry.

I had to make another batch of stuffing because the soggy ones I mixed with the no so soggy ones got burned to a crisp when I mixed them up and loaded them into the muffin tin and put them in the oven and didn't set the timer.

This has held me up making leftover dishes with the turkey I just roasted. Leftovers is the reason I roasted it!

Tomorrow will be Turkey Strata, which I will layer in the loaf pan tonight for cooking tomorrow.

Zhizara,
You turkey leftovers sound wonderful! I may need to get another turkey soon too! There are just so many possibilities when you have leftover turkey in the freezer!

I used to make what we called "garbage soup" when my kids were little. Every time we had left over veggies, spagetti sauce, macaroni, chili, etc. we layered them into a freezer container in the freezer. When the container got full, it was time to have garbage soup. We just heated it up on the stove, and it was always a little different but always good. It was a free meal when money was a little tight, and it was always nice with cornbread.

I kind of did a reverse leftover thing this weekend. I wanted to make some chili, so I did. We used it first on Saturday and made chili dogs. I love my chili recipe, but honestly I didn't care for it as a sauce for the dogs. My boys loved it and each ate three!!:wacko: We are going to warm the pot back up tomorrow night and I will serve it with cornbread and toppings (cheese, onions, etc.).

I try my best not to have any food leftover. I really don't like eating leftovers at all. I have learned to cook in proper proportions for me to avoid the leftovers. It works for me pretty well. People say I have a 30 min rule on food. Some people make a meal and eat it all week. Not for me.

Leftover/bird feed

I try to get my wife to make dumplings from beef marrow which I enjoy in a beef broth.
Our birds seem to enjoy the tallow trimmed from venison.

Yes, I am sure the birds do enjoy the venison tallow. I make my own concoctions and I have plenty of birds year round. I especially enjoy seeing birds with their mates. I even had a cooper hawk sitting on my picnic table very close to the house enjoying the suet that I made.:chef:

The recent arrivals here seem to do just fine without us feeding them. Plenty of road kill to go around.:rolleyes:

Craig

Leftover mashed potatoes

Cleaned out the fridge and had leftover:
pizza veggies
Swiss Steak
Smoky sausages
Quart jar of salsa

Added a can of beans and spices. Shredded the meat and now I have chili in the crock pot. Easy, easy.

What are you making from leftovers?

When I was a kid, I made a type of potato pancake from leftover mashed potatoes. I added one egg and just a small amount of bread crumbs. Today, I might add panko crumbs if I made them again. I tell people who maked mashed potatoes about this. They like it alot.

In the case of this recent roasted turkey, I bought it JUST to make leftovers for the freezer.

The turkey strata came out fine and I'll have leftovers to freeze for a ready made meal.

Next will probably be MsMofet's Confetti Soup with turkey and Wild Rice.:chef:

My DH nuked me some of the leftover barely and chicken soup while I was feeling ill and incapable of any cooking. It was perfect. I was glad it was in the freezer.

If I have leftovers from a turkey dinner, I make "turkey dinner pies". Something I came up with the day before I went into labour with my daughter. I cooked a huge dinner just for hubby and I (nesting, obviously!), and had bought a bunch of frozen Tenderflake pie shells. With the leftovers, I layered them into the pie shells (pulled turkey, gravy, veggies, stuffing, more gravy, mashed potatoes and then cheese). I made a few of them, covered them with foil and put them in the freezer. Then we had lots to eat after bringing my little one home.
They are so tasty, we actually enjoyed them as much or more than the actual turkey dinner!

Back
Top Bottom