Leftovers ...what are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Cleaned out the fridge and had leftover:
pizza veggies
Swiss Steak
Smoky sausages
Quart jar of salsa

Added a can of beans and spices. Shredded the meat and now I have chili in the crock pot. Easy, easy.

What are you making from leftovers?

I had leftover chicken from making stock, so I stripped and cut up, added a can of cream of mushroom, a tablespoon of diced pimentos and a tablespoon of dried green onions.

I had marinated the chicken after cutting it up in some cooking sherry. It made a delicious chicken ala king served on toast points.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering what to do about supper. I have about 50 grams of corned beef and about 150 grams of leftover pork roulade. DH will make "biksemad". It's Danish hash. Tasty and economical.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering what to do about supper. I have about 50 grams of corned beef and about 150 grams of leftover pork roulade. DH will make "biksemad". It's Danish hash. Tasty and economical.
Less than 4 oz (3.5 oz) of meat per person sounds like enough for a modest sandwich; but with some onions and 500 grams (250 grams per person) of potatoes I guess it's adequate for a light supper.

Speaking of light suppers, we're having about 150 grams each of chuck pot roast and sour cream gravy ('leftover' from yesterdays cooking), along with fennel salad. I think the pot roast tastes better a day or 2 or 3 after its initial cooking.

Last edited:
Less than 4 oz (3.5 oz) of meat per person sounds like enough for a modest sandwich; but with some onions and 500 grams (250 grams per person) of potatoes I guess it's adequate for a light supper.

Speaking of light suppers, we're having about 150 grams each of chuck pot roast and sour cream gravy ('leftover' from yesterdays cooking), along with fennel salad. I think the pot roast tastes better a day or 2 or 3 after its initial cooking.

200 g cooked pork meat, 400 g onion, 400 g cooked potatoes, 50 g bacon sprinkled on top, parsley, optional: 2 sunny side up eggs served on top. Of course, traditionally no one measured.

That leftover chuck roast with gravy and salad sounds yummy. I love using sour cream in gravy. It adds a real je ne sais quoi.

Last edited:
It takes a bit of tending to, like risotto, but if I have portions of rice in the freezer, especially short white grain, a good broth and whatever else is in the frig has been hitting the spot for me these past few cold weeks in leftover pots of porridge.

It is time to liven up this thread. Many moons ago, I made some really, really rich beef stock and tossed it in the freezer.

For Valentine's Day my husband made me French onion soup with it.

I used the cup, maybe cup and a half, of it to make some beef stroganof.

I screwed up, and don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but it was much more soup-y than I planned on.

So to the leftovers I added a lot of paprika, more mushrooms, and some tomato paste and made a goulash.

I thought I was going to bring tons of leftovers to my lady friends, but guess what? There was less than a cup of it left, and maybe a half-cup of sour cream.

So: Leftover beef bones. How many meals? It's a challenge!

It is time to liven up this thread. Many moons ago, I made some really, really rich beef stock and tossed it in the freezer.

For Valentine's Day my husband made me French onion soup with it.

I used the cup, maybe cup and a half, of it to make some beef stroganof.

I screwed up, and don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but it was much more soup-y than I planned on.

So to the leftovers I added a lot of paprika, more mushrooms, and some tomato paste and made a goulash.

I thought I was going to bring tons of leftovers to my lady friends, but guess what? There was less than a cup of it left, and maybe a half-cup of sour cream.

So: Leftover beef bones. How many meals? It's a challenge!

I've still got a ham bone w/extra meat and two quart packages of the sherry pork from the same ham. It was a while ago.

Now that I've got the freezer cleaned up a bit, I can make a batch of baby limas with the meaty bone. I usually end up with a couple of containers for the freezer, but now I have room.

I'm going back to the grocery store on Tuesday and I'm getting that turkey. I have lots of bread heels and such saved for a nice big batch of homemade stuffing, and that will open up a bunch of room in the freezer.

I make homemade bird food. I use the bread heels for that. As well as the bone marrow and stale baking items such as raisins and dried fruits. My birds love it. During these cold and big snowy winters, I make sure the birds have food for energy. (These items aren't rotten they are just not fresh enough for me to cook with)

I've still got a ham bone w/extra meat and two quart packages of the sherry pork from the same ham. It was a while ago.

Now that I've got the freezer cleaned up a bit, I can make a batch of baby limas with the meaty bone. I usually end up with a couple of containers for the freezer, but now I have room.

I'm going back to the grocery store on Tuesday and I'm getting that turkey. I have lots of bread heels and such saved for a nice big batch of homemade stuffing, and that will open up a bunch of room in the freezer.

When you finally get that turkey, and it comes back out of the freezer and into the oven, we are all coming over! :LOL:

Tonight will be fried rice. I made a stir fry earlier this week, and will just combine it with the rice.

But I'm mad at myself for suggesting it; I really don't feel like cooking. But it will only be a few seconds, so no big deal.

When you finally get that turkey, and it comes back out of the freezer and into the oven, we are all coming over! :LOL:
I'm not putting it in the freezer. Defrosting in the fridge. I'm starved for turkey. I might even have to give the defrosting a boost if I just can't wait.:pig:

You are welcome to come, of course.

Last edited:
The turkey is nearly thawed, so I managed to get the giblets out (plus a package of gravy that I'll save that for another time).

The celery and onions are done and the giblets are simmering. Next is to dice up the bread for the stuffing. If all the heels and stale bread isn't enough, I have a gorgeous French bread loaf I can add to it.

I'm taking it very slowly as my back is doing some serious threatening and I've been getting electric shocks from my neck down. My OTC cocktail that worked for my toothache, is helping.

I've never brined, and have always had excellent results, so I'm not going to change anything about my method. Since I learned my Thanksgiving from my Betty Crocker cookbook (Right, Kayelle?), I have never had a less than perfect bird.

One leftover dish I created was just to layer the meal in my loaf pan: mashed potatoes, diced turkey, gravy, green beans, more turkey, gravy, stuffing on top. Heavenly!

The last turkey I made was over 2 years ago. I paid for my room & board by supplying the food using my food stamps, and my cooking skills, for a crazy Vet, so I made it my goal to come up with new ideas. He hated having me there and was often abusive, but I hung in so I could get my Social Security. I had a place lined up for my first deposit and managed to move out about 3 weeks early. Mutual friends told me all he could talk about was that I had left! I guess he quickly was reminded he couldn't cook! The upshot is that I created some really Keeper recipes and am finally about to use them.

I've really missed having leftover turkey available in the freezer, and will probably cook another one when I run out.

Last edited:
Just thought I would bump this up to find out what folks are using up and how they are using it. I try hard not to have leftovers in the house but when I do I like to make something totally new from them. Right now I have some leftover spaghetti noodles which will become a pasta salad (alnother great way to use stuff up) and some mashed potatoes and ham steaks. I haven't figured out what I am going to do with them yet. Maybe I'll do some duchess potatoes but the ham is going to require some extra thought.

When I have left over home made saltbeef/cornbeef or turkey I make my take on the cornish pasty.

Pastry, I make a suet crust but using plain flour, then roll it thinly.
Filing, cubes of meat (tip if your left over meat is a bit dry, place it in a seive and steam over boiling water) cubes of potato,carrot, swede and onion, salt and pepper. I like to sweat the veg in butter for 5 mins cool then mix with the meat.

I roasted a 12.34# turkey the other day. It yielded:

2 pkgs. breast meat
2 thighs
2 drumsticks
2 wings
3 two cup containers of turkey stock

Plus I made the rest of the package of Wild Rice Brown Rice Blend. I used turkey stock and water to make the rice.

That yielded:

3 quart size zip bags full

I've gone through my recipe box and pulled the chicken recipes because I never write up another card for turkey. I love making old favorites with the turkey for a different taste.:chef:

I have some leftover ham that I will be adding to my white bean and mustard greens soup later today.

I made a combo hash from last nights vaca frita and put fried eggs on top for breakfast. Lots of left overs so I'm set for breakfast the next few days.;)

Craig

Back
Top Bottom