Lentil Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my experience, the different lentils all break down differently. They are all wonderful, from my perspective. I find the yellow ones keep a bit of body, and sometimes this extra little 'crunch' is very nice.

Welcome to the group, Mike.

In my experience, the different lentils all break down differently. They are all wonderful, from my perspective. I find the yellow ones keep a bit of body, and sometimes this extra little 'crunch' is very nice.

Welcome to the group, Mike.

Tight you are ! Brown also keep their shape whereas
Red becomes a sort of porridge -
I haven't tried black lentils yet - have you?

Tight you are ! Brown also keep their shape whereas
Red becomes a sort of porridge -
I haven't tried black lentils yet - have you?
Tried the black ones once in Australia. They kind of disappeared and were just more like a thickening agent. I use potatoes for that. So never used them again. I like to purree half of my lentils and leave the rest for texture.

Lentil soup or 'Daal' is a part of everyday Indian meal. We eat various types of lentil soups with 'roti', 'paratha' & rice.

Thanks, Mike in Brooklyn for your lentil stew recipe. It was a great hit yesterday. I pureed half of the lentils and used brown rice. Hope you don't mind. But the soup/stew was wonderful. Boy, am I going to be able to "tweek" this recipe. Thanks again.

Lentils work in so many ways - you don't have to soak overnight,
they cook in a shorter time than beans, they are healthy and good for us,
they are so much cheaper than animal protein, the cultivation of
Lentils is much more 'greener' than cultivating animal protein of any kind.

You are right, Mike, but you forget to mention the flatulence factor: lentils are much better in that regard. :clap: I used yellow lentils this time. Next time I will give the more traditional green a go and see how that does.

Back
Top Bottom