"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I keep a shopping list text file on my computer desk-top, and it is set up with each category in the same order of the departments that I come to when I begin shopping in the supermarket, (i.e. dairy, processed meats, chips and drinks, produce, etc.)

I simply use self-discipline in maintaining the list and then printing it out before shopping. It has really helped keep my budget and impulse buying under control.

Being on my computer desk-top has made it easy to maintain. Adding is easy, and when I return from shopping I simply erase those entries I purchased, and leave those I didn't.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One thing that may help you out is to be thinking about tomorrow's dinner while you are making tonight's. Check your freezer and fridge and think what you could make. When you've decided, make sure you have all the ingredients, take meat out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator to thaw if necessary.

If you've got a couple of missing ingredients, make a note and pick the item(s) up on your way home from work tomorrow.

It may take a while to get into this habit, but you'll ease your daily stress by knowing what's for dinner tonight because you planned it last night. If necessary, make a note "What's for dinner tomorrow?" and post it on your fridge to remind you.

Ask questions here on DC. We love to help out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I have a file on my computer for my grocery list too. I also keep about six weeks of history for what I cooked for dinner because my husband likes variety. Then there's the list of everything that I can cook in case I get stuck about what to have.

I plan dinners a week at a time, and add to my list anything that I don't have on hand. I include breakfast and cena -- a late snack for us -- items that I need. I also keep beef, hamburger, chicken, pork and some fish in my freezer to use for dinner and add any of those to my list. I'm at the point that I take my list to the grocery store but add things that I see as I walk the aisles.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Executive Chef

We have a well stocked pantry and deep freezer. We plan our menu and shop on Friday usually. Our local grocery ad comes out on Thursday so we can see what pantry items and vegis might be on sale. We also go to Costco every two weeks for water and pick up items that are about a once per month purchase. There is a store called Penn Dutch Meats that we pick up freezer stock and some seafood from. I went there yesterday spicifically to buy some conch and picked up a few other items. Their fresh, jumbo chicken wings were $.69 a pound. Italian sausage $2.00 a pound in family paks, of which they sell combos of hot and mild.

We usually plan 6 meals and leave one open for something that might catch our fancy while shopping. We are waiting with great anticipation for the Whole Foods that is being built a couple miles away. BTW, we suppliment from our garden.

Craig
Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMerry View Post
I have a file on my computer for my grocery list too. I also keep about six weeks of history for what I cooked for dinner because my husband likes variety. Then there's the list of everything that I can cook in case I get stuck about what to have.

I plan dinners a week at a time, and add to my list anything that I don't have on hand. I include breakfast and cena -- a late snack for us -- items that I need. I also keep beef, hamburger, chicken, pork and some fish in my freezer to use for dinner and add any of those to my list. I'm at the point that I take my list to the grocery store but add things that I see as I walk the aisles.
I love your idea of keeping a history of what got cooked for dinner.

I think I will set up a google docs spreadsheet to share with DH. We can keep comments and who cooked as well as what the meals were. I can even put links to online recipes. Yes, I am liking this idea.

Thanks DMerry