"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Old 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
Senior Cook
I became very adept at transforming Ramen noodles whilst in college.

Dried Mushrooms (reconstituted, water used to cook noodles of course) help a great deal.

I always had fish-cake around, so I'd cut some up and toss that in too.

Kim Chi goes great on top. As does a little bit of nori, and/or some tofu. Furikake can add flavor, and dried bonito dashi can add a lot of flavor to the oft-weak seafood-flavored varieties.

Ramen is an excellent platform for leftovers in general. The noodles themselves can often be not half bad, but it always needs augmentation. You can really put almost anything in there.

BrazenAmateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #22
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I'm a ramen fan for sure - liked some of the ideas here - usually we just cook and eat though!

Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #23
Executive Chef
I just love those Ramen Noodles. They are the most tastiest noodles around.
I like to cook them according to pkg. and then add crumbled fried hamburger and salt and pepper and a little butter. YUMMY!
Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #24
Executive Chef
Thinking about it, they might even go good cold on a vegetable salad.
Eat, Drink, Laugh and be Happy.
lifesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm starting to feel like the odd one out I don't think I've ever bought or eaten ramen noodles. It wasn't something I grew up with, so it's just never occurred to me to pick them up (when I was in college, I lived on Kraft Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, which they don't make anymore ), but there are lots of good ideas here.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #26
Senior Cook
We ate a lot of ramen when I was younger. My husband and I were just speaking about this last night. My uncle used to pour in a beaten egg and some green onion, and I have always loved the shrimp flavor with lemon and hot sauce. It has a very spicey picante flavor that will CLEAR those nasal passages right up! ;)
snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #27
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I don't eat them since I started trying to avoid MSG and hydrogenated oils. I'm actually a bit surprised that I'm the first to mention it. I haven't seen them all, but I've checked a number of brands and all the ones I've seen were fried in hydrogenated oil.

I do use instant chinese noodles, which I've only recently discovered. They are soft and refrigerated in a vacuum sealed pack. The cooking directions are to boil for 10 seconds, so they're quick and easy. No "flavor" packet, but I don't miss it.
Russellkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
the sodium content in many of those noodle bowls is outrageous! i bought a pack of them in costco and ended up giving them away because, when you do the math (2 servings per bowl x 52% of r.d.a. of sodium per serving = 104% ) you'd be better off just standing around the salt lick with the other cattle.

i like the idea of chucking the spice/salt packet and making it into a healthier meal with some aromatic additions.

russel, if you want to avoid the oils, check out baked ramen. they're hard to find and a bit pricier, but a lot healthier. sans the salt packet, of course.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #29
Head Chef
I always remenber my sister talking about them when she first moved out and on her own.(Many Moons ago) Her best friend and her shared an apartment and I guess the eyes were bigger then the wallet, money was tight and sometimes they didn't have much to buy food so then they found remain soup at our market most of the time is 10 for 10.00 they learned to survive and budget money. of course they never let on they were hurting. Wanted to prove they could do it I guess. Today they are doing great.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #30
Master Chef
If you have an Asian market or a supermarket with a decent Asian food aisle you can find ramen noodles minus the spice/soup packet. Our local Walmart carries them & that's what I buy these days for my ramen noodle dishes, although I do enjoy the soups occasionally as well - especially the imported specialty ones the Asian markets sell.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote